Menu

Ctrl-Alt-A

Help
2015-11-03
2015-11-07
  • Walter Killops

Walter Killops - 2015-11-03

I have KeePass open and running. When I go to a site that already has an entry in KeePass and click on Ctrl-Alt-A in stead of filling in the user name and password, it opens the database.kdb asking for the Master Password. How can I avoid this?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2015-11-03

Global auto-type (default hotkey Ctrl+Alt+A) can not auto-type a username and password unless the database is open (i.e. decrypted). When the active database is locked, auto-type must request the Master Key to decrypt the database.

To avoid being prompted for the Master Key, do not lock the database. Settings that affect whether the database locks after a certain time or event are found in Tool>Options>Security(tab) and Tools>Options>Advanced(tab)>Start and Exit(section). These settings allow the user to tune risk versus convenience to be appropriate to the local security environment.

• Paul

Paul - 2015-11-03

Not locking the database is not a good idea unless you are absolutely sure no-one else will ever use your computer.

cheers, Paul

• userxyz

userxyz - 2015-11-07

I'm thinking "unless you are absolutely sure no-one else will ever use your computer" would pretty much mean you don't need Keepass anyway, mostly. :)

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2015-11-07

I think you missed the double negative. i.e. "Not locking the database is not a good idea" unless... means:

[Lock your database] unless you are absolutely sure no-one else will ever use your computer.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2015-11-07

OOPs that's a gotcha, its a triple negative.

• Paul

Paul - 2015-11-07

You don't need KeePass but it sure is convenient!

cheers, Paul