Menu

Ubuntu global auto-type setup instructions

dregad
2011-06-17
2013-03-02
  • dregad

dregad - 2011-06-17

I have been trying to get the global auto-type to work on my Ubuntu machine, without success.

After making confirming I am was running the right versions of xdotools, I followed the instructions under http://www.keepass.info/help/v2/setup.html#mono but nothing happened when I pressed the assigned hot key. I tried to execute different commands, and using other hotkey combinations, but without success.

Then I spent nearly one hour searching google for a reason and/or solution to my problem, but found nothing useful so I decided to give up on it.

Until today when, looking for something else, I noticed in the Keyboard Shortcuts that there was a section for custom shortcuts. Here's what I did:

• Open the System / Preferences / Keyboard Shortcuts dialog

• Click the Add button

• Enter Name = "KeePass Auto Type", Command = "/usr/bin/keepass2 -auto-type" (or whatever the path to KeePass is on your system) and click Apply button

• A new custom command is now added with no assigned shortcut. Click on Disabled, then press the desired key combination (e.g. Ctrl+Alt+A)

• Enjoy auto-type !

Here is a More detailed description of the process (with screenshots)

I am not sure in which version of Ubuntu this feature was introduced, as I seem to recall that in the past there was no "Custom Shortcuts" section. Anyway the good thing is that now not only does it work when the suggested method does not but also I think it is simpler and easier to setup.

Dominik, if you don't mind I would suggest to update http://www.keepass.info/help/v2/setup.html#mono.

Note: I am on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty, using KeePass 2.15 installed thanks to jtaylor's excellent package, with Mono 2.6.7 and xdotools 1:2.20110530.1-3

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2011-06-17

I've updated the documentation, thanks.

Best regards
    Dominik

• Scott

Scott - 2013-03-02

Wow, I had no idea. I'm psyched now. KeePass on Ubuntu may actually be 100% usable for me now. I tested this and it is still valid for Ubuntu 12.10. This bump is to assure newer users know.