Menu

Help new to KeePass etc....Haveing issuse implmenting sites like Sears, Northern Trust, CVS

Duke Zuma
2013-07-20
2013-07-22
  • Duke Zuma

Duke Zuma - 2013-07-20

I have been able to master simple sites such as Dish Network, HomeDepot and others. Sears, Northern Trust, CVS etc have been a pain. Can't get there from here. To complicate things I have a need for multiple login for other people. What am I missing? Appreciate in advance and advice.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-07-20

I am assume you are using KeePass 2.x

You'll need to be a little more specific about what is going wrong. I don't have accounts at these sites but I was able to create dummy auto-type sequences that successfully entered incorrect login credentials resulting in failed login messages.

It is important to understand that KeePass auto-type does NOT match URLs, it matches the Window Title. The Window Title is the text that is displayed on the browser tab of the site. The complete window title in Firefox for the Sears site is: "Sears | In-Store & Online Shopping: Appliances, Clothing & More - Mozilla Firefox". Notice that the window title does NOT contain the string "sears.com". If you are using the default KeePass settings then an entry titled "sears" (without the quotes) will work.

Sears and CVS put up child login screens. In each of these cases the window title is the same as the browser tab. To see the correct window title (as KeePass sees it): Make sure the login page is displayed in the browser, then open a KeePass entry, select the auto-type tab, press the "Add" button, click on the Target Window field to see the open window titles.

The Northern Trust login appears to be a conventional login.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-07-20
    • Duke Zuma

Duke Zuma - 2013-07-21

Thanks for the response. I am brand new to KeePass and using v2.23 with FireFox 22.0. I tried Dashlane and had issues with the "child screens". It would work sometimes and sometime not. With KeePass I haven't made it beyond the child screen. Your comment's are helpful and will try matching the text in the browser tab. I have been trying to use the URL etc. I will give it a try. Thanks again and will let you know how I progress when I get the time to follow up on this.

• Paul

Paul - 2013-07-22

You must place the cursor in the "username" field before attempting to Auto-Type.

cheers, Paul