Menu

Site needs installation instructions

Help
2010-02-20
2013-03-13
  • Arthur Torrey

Arthur Torrey - 2010-02-20

I have looked all over the website, and in the forums and also inside the .bin.zip file, and I can't find any installation instructions.

The link to downloading the file is helpful, but it would be good to have some directions on how to properly install the program.  In other words how do I get from a zip file sitting in my ~/downloads/investment/ directory to a working install.

I am running on Gentoo Linux, but it seems to me that you could use an "Install page" on the Jstock website with instructions on as many different systems as possible.

For a Linux system, I'd want to know where to extract the archive to, should it go in my /home/~ directory, /usr/bin, or what?  Do I need to do any other filesystem changes like playing with ownerships or permissions, etc.

As an alternative, if you don't want to put an install page in the website, you could put a READ.ME file in the archive itself.

Thanks,

ART

• yccheok

yccheok - 2010-02-21

Thanks for the suggestion. We miss that out :(

By the way, are you manage to finally install JStock in your Linux box?

• Arthur Torrey

Arthur Torrey - 2010-02-21

No, I haven't been able to figure out the best way to install it…  As soon as I can get some install instructions, I'm planning on installing it.  Your reply to my earlier e-mail convinced me that it was worth giving the program a try.

It would be really nice to have a Gentoo e-build, which is the way I usually get packages, but I'd be willing to do a manual install if I could find the instructions on where to put the files, and so forth like I asked above. 

Also I was wondering if one needed to be root in order to install it, or if one could install from a user account.

(If I had good instructions I could possibly file a request for an e-build, or maybe try writing one, but I wouldn't want to do that without the needed information.)

Thanks,
    ART

• yccheok

yccheok - 2010-02-21

I can give you a instruction right here :

extract out the zip file to your home directory. You shall see a folder called "jstock"

cd ~/jstock
    chmod 755 jstock.sh
    ./jstock.sh

Before this, ensure you already install JVM (Java Virtual Machine) for your Gentoo. I believe JVM will be the Gento e-build package already. So, it shall be no problem for your to install a copy of JVM

Please let me know if you still have any problem.

• Arthur Torrey

Arthur Torrey - 2010-02-21

I have installed, but I'm not getting it to run - although it appears that I do have a JVM installed.

When I try to run the program, I get:
    ~/jstock $ ./jstock.sh                        
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad version number in .class file
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass2(Native Method)                                       
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:719)                                 
            at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:160)                 
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:254)                            
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:56)                              
            at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:195)                                  
            at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)                              
            at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)                              
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)                                   
            at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:268)                           
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)                                   
            at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:319)   

I checked, and it sees that I do have a java installation -                        
    ~/jstock $ which java
    /usr/bin/java                      
    ~/jstock $ java -version
    java version "1.5.0_20"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_20-b02)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_20-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

Any suggestions?  My girlfriend, who is a senior Java developer by trade, suggests that it may be that my JVM version isn't the same as what Jstock needs?

ART

• yccheok

yccheok - 2010-02-22

Yes. Your girl friend is correct. You need to use Java 1.6

• Arthur Torrey

Arthur Torrey - 2010-02-23

Thanks - it took a while to figure out what was going on, but Gentoo has a configuration option to select what JVM it uses for programs that call an external Java - I had the 1.6 JDK installed, and emerge kept telling me that.  But it was less obvious that while I had set the well hidden option of which JVM to install to 1.5. 

Once I fixed that, Jstock starts up fine.  Now I just have to figure out how it all works.  It looks pretty good so far in just the few minutes that I've been looking at it.

One minor thing that might be worth considering - I plan to have several different portfolios for different groups of stocks that I will own - I'm glad to see the portfolio management page, as that helps keep them separated.  However I don't see anything on the page that says WHICH portfolio is being displayed - it would be nice to have a little panel at the top somewhere that said what portfolio is being shown. 
    It might also be nice to have the option for a summary page that listed all the portfolios and how each one was doing overall.

ART

• yccheok

yccheok - 2010-02-23

Glad to hear that it works fine for you.

If you have any features request, feel free to submit them to the tracker.

Also, don't forget to tell your friend and family about the good thing on JStock ;)

• Arthur Torrey

Arthur Torrey - 2010-02-24

Thanks, I've been sticking things into it for a while and it looks like quite a nice tool.  I have stuck a bunch of items into the tracker as either bugs or feature requests as I encountered things that I either wish the program did, or a few items that didn't work the way it looked like they should have.

Don't want to seem like I'm complaining, but I've always felt that if one doesn't report what is broken, the person on the other end doesn't know there is a problem that needs fixing…

ART

• yccheok

yccheok - 2010-02-24

Thanks. We never thought that is complain. In contrast, we are very much happy to receive feedback and comment from end users. We always want to make JStock a better software.