Menu

Performance/speed of jsMath

Anonymous
2010-08-03
2013-04-29
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-08-03

Hello everyone.

I recently started using this wonderful package.  Here is a question I have regarding the performance, and the possibility of improving that in my situation. I have a web site that shows solutions to some math problems. I create the content so I have full control over that. Would the following approach result in performance improvement and is this ok: for my LaTeX math formulas, I first run the jsMath javascript on it to obtain the html version of them and then just put the html version in my page.  Has anyone done that and does that make sense? I imagine if I do that, then for visitors of my site,their browser won't need to run jsMath to process the math formulas, hence performance boost.

Many thanks
    Ali

P.S. one of my target interfaces is mobile devices (via web browser) and the cpu on those devices are not as powerful of the desktops/laptops so any performance improvement can really help.

• Davide P. Cervone

Unfortunately, this will not work.  The HTML that jsMath produces differs depending on the browser, the platform, the fonts the user has installed, and even some settings of the user's browser (e.g., the default font size).  So caching the results that you get in YOUR browser, will not work for many other users.  That is why jsMath runs in the browser, not on the server.  Sorry.

Davide

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-08-03

Thanks for clarifying that, David.
    Ali

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2010-09-14

From your setup, it sounds like you can run your TeX through normal shell commands, output a .png image, and send that down the line.