Menu

Cube Export to Excel for larger data fails

Help
2008-02-21
2013-04-29
  • Kuldip Shah

Kuldip Shah - 2008-02-21

We have integrated Mondrian (Version: 2.3.2.8944) and JPivot for our client application and currently having problem in generating Excel report from current cube view. The problem occurs mainly when the cube is expanded for all dimensions and then clicked on Excel Icon (JPivot menu bar). The process takes too log to generate the Excel file and then in the middle, it fails.

When I checked the application log (Weblogic Server), it reported following error.

ERROR (RendererTag.java:159) - trouble rendering table01
    java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
            at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite0(Native Method)
            at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
            at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.writeChunkTransfer(ChunkOutput.java:525)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.writeChunks(ChunkOutput.java:504)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.flush(ChunkOutput.java:382)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.checkForFlush(ChunkOutput.java:469)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutput.write(ChunkOutput.java:304)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutputWrapper.write(ChunkOutputWrapper.java:133)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletOutputStreamImpl.write(ServletOutputStreamImpl.java:168)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WLOutputStreamWriter.writeBytes(WLOutputStreamWriter.java:168)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WLOutputStreamWriter.write(WLOutputStreamWriter.java:129)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.WLOutputStreamWriter.write(WLOutputStreamWriter.java:113)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.DelegateChunkWriter.print(DelegateChunkWriter.java:118)
            at weblogic.servlet.internal.ChunkOutputWrapper.print(ChunkOutputWrapper.java:146)
            at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspWriterImpl.write(JspWriterImpl.java:233)
            at com.tonbeller.wcf.component.RendererTag.doEndTag(RendererTag.java:153)
            at jsp_servlet.__olap_jpivot_page._jsp__tag58(__olap_jpivot_page.java:2961)

We also noticed that if we connect to application locally (In the same network where application web server resides), mostly it works. The problem occurs mainly for remote web user.

I also wants to ask that when I click on Excel icon, is it transferring data over the network from server to client while writing to the excel file OR it generates Excel file on the server first and then asks user to either open or save the file?

Please help us ASAP. Thanks in advance.

Kuldip

• Julian Hyde

Julian Hyde - 2008-02-22

That 'broken pipe' error is expected behavior from a web server whenever the web client aborts its HTTP request. I presume that the client is timing out. I don't think there's a bug in jpivot - you need a faster network or perhaps a longer timeout.