Menu

Contributing to JBit

2009-05-24
2013-05-30
  • Emanuele Fornara

Here are some suggestions if you feel like contributing to JBit.

By far, the best way to contribute is to be an active user. Just post short programs with some comments. It doesn't matter if they look too trivial. They are not. Assembly has a steep learning curve and, for someone just starting, it can be very frustrating. I believe that seeing other people's first efforts could help you to see your own code too as worthwhile (it is) and would provide some inspiration and ideas. If you find a way to make something interesting in 20-30 lines of code, that is definitely a gem.

If you are native speaker of a language other than English, translating the tutorial would be great, It requires a lot of effort, though. A few web pages on a separate site are probably a more approachable option.

Artwork is another main area. Packaging a custom version of JBit with tiles and sprites ready to ILOAD (or, better, preILOADed by custom demos) would add a lot of value. Just make sure of their copyright status and make clear that it is an unofficial release of JBit (in the midlet name and in the About dialog) and where to find the official one.

For Java programmers, a multi-color Paint is sorely missing.

• facundo couzo

facundo couzo - 2009-06-02

I've just translated the JBit tutorial to spanish, here it is!

http://www.dittophantassy.110mb.com/tutorial_es.html

• Emanuele Fornara

Thanks a lot, dittophantassy! It's hard to overestimate the importance of a Spanish translation of the tutorial.

Let me know if I can add it to the JBit website. If this is the case, feel free to add a line like "Translated by ..." pointing to your home page if you want. Something like this:

http://jbit.sourceforge.net/doc/tutorial_it.html

• facundo couzo

facundo couzo - 2009-06-03

done.
      yep you can add it to the JBit website.

• Emanuele Fornara

Thanks, I've uploaded it. Here is the link:

http://jbit.sourceforge.net/doc/tutorial_es.html

I've changed the encoding from utf-8 to iso-8859-1. Let me know if you have any problems viewing the page.

• facundo couzo

facundo couzo - 2009-06-04

no problems, works fine

• Kyle Alexander

Kyle Alexander - 2011-01-09

Would it help if I translate the tutorial to Filipino, as I am a native Filipino speaker?

• Emanuele Fornara

It's hard to say. I don't collect statistics about the web site anymore, but several months ago I collected them for a while and the Spanish/Italian versions were hardly accessed. I think it's not worth the trouble, even more so if your main tool is your mobile phone. The only languages that could really make a difference are probably Russian (strong hacking community, so quite important) and maybe Japanese, Arabic and Chinese. But even if you happen to know a bit of Russian, I'd leave the task to a native speaker with a PC.

If you really want to contribute, I reckon that a coding mini-project would be the best way. For example, you could start from the Bitmap short program http://sourceforge.net/projects/jbit/forums/forum/848074/topic/2128132 . You could then increase the bitmap size to 64x64 or 128x128 pixels and write a subroutine in page 3 that: saves and restore X/Y/A (if needed), reads the X coord from address 1 and the Y coord from address 2 and paints the corresponding pixel.

It goes without saying that your school has the highest priority.

By the way, I added TextInput to the gallery. Aslo, if you post long subroutines don't bother typing their MEM NAV dump. Just upload the jb, open a topic and and I'll reply with the type in.

• Kyle Alexander

Kyle Alexander - 2011-01-10

OK, I'll upload that subroutine. I'll also post the explanation in the thread. As for the translation, I quite agree with you. The "making" process is quite easy in my phone, but actually, the percentage of Filipinos who are interested in programming are about 2% and those who can speak English fluently is about 30%. So, it's almost no use. About Russian, no, I can't speak Russian. But I know a lot of words, which is enough not to get lost in a Russian site. Yes, Russians love to hack, I don't know why. Try to see http://annimon.wen.ru/ As far as I recall, he has a JBit GameKit on his site. Maybe I could do the saving and restoring of X/Y/A, but not the second one. I can't clearly understand what you mean by the second one…

• funtikar azmi

funtikar azmi - 2011-12-16

I would agree about the language translation stuff. It'll only work for people that live in a community where just at their place its already a huge world compared to us,Filipinos for tarcheese (i'm Malaysian). And also by the time a person is interested in jbit i bet he/she had already mastered english.