Menu

Could not open image...

Help
2009-08-17
2013-02-18
  • Anthony Thorn

Anthony Thorn - 2009-08-17

Help! I have downloaded and extracted SmillaEnlarger, and the program starts "OK". But I cannot open any files. I have tried using the dialog boxes and with drag-and-drop, also tried different .jpg files but I always get the same result:
    Could not open image ' <filename.jpg>'
    What have I done wrong? Any suggestions?
    Could it be because Irfan View is my default application for opening jpegs?

• Anthony Thorn

Anthony Thorn - 2009-08-17

Thanks for the super support!
      I had extracted without the option "use folder names".
      Now it works fine.

• Mischa Lusteck

Mischa Lusteck - 2009-08-17

This sounds a bit as if Qt could not find its plugins.

I assume you are working under windows ?

In this case, SmillaEnlarger needs to stay in the same folder as its DLLs, and there also has to be the file 'qt.conf' and a subfolder named 'plugins' in the same folder, so please check if those files are where they should be.

( in the folder 'plugins' there has to be the subfolder 'imageformats' with some DLLs in it, especially 'qjpeg4.dll".

Maybe you have moved the enlarger away from the folder you got when unzipping the downloaded package?

Do you see the picture of a husky when starting up SmillaEnlarger?

What happens if you try files with another image format ( .bmp , .png , .tiff ) ?

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I am quite sure that IrfanView as default application has nothing to do with it.

• Dale

Dale - 2013-02-18

My download of 2/17/13 did not contain qjpeg4.dll in any folder, and I was unable to open a JPEG image. There were only 3 dlls in the imageformats subfolder. I searched my hard drive and found qjpeg4.dll and 2 other dlls not in my download, and have added them to my imageformats subfolder. Please advise what dlls should be in the imageformats subfolder, along with their dates. I now have qgif4, qico4, qjpeg4, and qsvg4 dated 3/21/12; and qmng4 and qtiff4 dated 2/17/13.

• Dale

Dale - 2013-02-18

I can now open .tif, .ico, .png, .bmp files. I still can not open .jpg files. Opening an .SVG or an .mng file doesn't seem to be an option. I can not open .gif files. What am I doing wrong?

• Mischa Lusteck

Mischa Lusteck - 2013-02-18

The files in the imageformats folder should be
    libqgif4.a
    libqgifd4.a
    libqico4.a
    libqicod4.a
    libqjpeg4.a
    libqjpegd4.a
    libqmng4.a
    libqmngd4.a
    libqsvg4.a
    libqsvgd4.a
    libqtiff4.a
    libqtiffd4.a
    qgif4.dll
    qico4.dll
    qjpeg4.dll
    qmng4.dll
    qsvg4.dll
    qtiff4.dll

all with date 7. April 2010
    They were all there in the download I did just now. So I fear I don't know what went wrong with your download...