Menu

Error: Could not connect to server

Anonymous
2015-01-06
2015-04-16
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-06

I have been using HelloNzb for more than a year. It works fine up to and including v1.3.5 but it fails for v1.4 to v1.4.2. When I tried the "Test server connection" option for v4, I got the error message "Could not connect to server". It again works fine if I switch back to v1.3.5 with exactly the same server configuration and properties.

Any help/comment would be much appreciated. Thank you.

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-06

Could you please post the HelloNzb log here, after you have tried the "Test server connection" option? You can find the log in the HelloNzb menu.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-07

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.
      Here is the log (with username and password removed):

DEBUG: Default NIO client: Initialised.
      DEBUG: Default NIO client: Starting main loop ...
      DEBUG: Creating new channel #1
      DEBUG: 1| > Connecting to server 'news.newsguy.com/74.209.136.97' on port 563
      DEBUG: Creating new channel #2
      DEBUG: 2| > Connecting to server 'news.newsguy.com/74.209.136.97' on port 563
      DEBUG: Creating new channel #3
      DEBUG: 3| > Connecting to server 'news.newsguy.com/74.209.136.97' on port 563
      DEBUG: Creating new channel #4
      DEBUG: 4| > Connecting to server 'news.newsguy.com/74.209.136.97' on port 563
      DEBUG: Creating new channel #5
      DEBUG: 5| > Connecting to server 'news.newsguy.com/74.209.136.97' on port 563
      DEBUG: NioClient should shutdown now
      DEBUG: 3| > AUTHINFO USER
      DEBUG: 5| > AUTHINFO USER
      DEBUG: 1| > AUTHINFO USER
      DEBUG: 2| > AUTHINFO USER
      DEBUG: 4| > AUTHINFO USER
      DEBUG: 5| > AUTHINFO PASS
      DEBUG: 3| > AUTHINFO PASS
      DEBUG: 2| > AUTHINFO PASS
      DEBUG: 1| > AUTHINFO PASS
      DEBUG: 4| > AUTHINFO PASS
      DEBUG: 5| > QUIT
      DEBUG: 2| > QUIT
      DEBUG: 3| > QUIT
      DEBUG: 4| > QUIT
      DEBUG: 1| > QUIT
      DEBUG: NettyNioClient stopped

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-07

Do I understand you correctly that it works with 1.3.5, but not with 1.4 (and all versions afterwards)? So if you have both these versions (.exe files) on your computer, and start 1.3.5 then the "Test server connection" works, but when you start the 1.4 version on the same computer and run the same "Test server connection", then it does not work and you get the error message?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-08

Yes, precisely. I have the following versions of the exe file on my computer: 1.32, 1.35, 1.4, 1.4.1, 1.4.1.1, 1.4.1.2 in the same HelloNzb folder. The first 2 versions (1.32, 1.35) work fine and all the 1.4.* versions fail. The settings for the server (I use only one server) are exactly the same in all cases.

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-08

Ok, I see, thanks for your feedback. I need to check what exactly has changed between 1.3.5 and 1.4 to understand what the problem is. Will get back to you soon.

One more question though: Does normal downloading work for you with 1.4.* versions, or does this fail as well? If it fails, does downloading work with 1.3.5 for you?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-08

Not sure what you meant by "normal downloading". I only download through the Server as configured in HelloNzb. Versions 1.3.2 and 1.3.5 have been working perfectly downloading files from that server. Since versions 1.4.* could not connect to the server, downloading files using them has not been possible.

BTW, my computer is a Toshiba Tecra R840 laptop running 64-bit Win7. Another minor point: Whenever I start up HelloNzb v1.3.5, it'll ask me whether I would like to download the latest version. Is it possible to turn this feature on/off through a setting?

Thank you.

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-09

Ok, so one thing that changed between 1.3 and 1.4 was the way how HelloNzb deals with SSL connections. There is no separate input for the SSL port in the preferences anymore since 1.4.

Can you please double-check whether you really have the correct port set in preferences when you open the latest 1.4 version? So please compare your settings (SSL yes/no and port and host name) with the values you got from your provider. Are these still correctly shown in 1.4?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-11

Settings: No SSL, port 119, HelloNzb 1.4.1.2 works.
      Settings: SSL turned on, port 563, HelloNzb 1.4.* fails. Port 563 is the correct port specified by my provider. It appears in the log file I posted before. It is also the port used in my usenet newsreader (agent.exe) for years.

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-11

Thank you vey much for your feedback. I am really curious to find this bug, but since it's working fine with and w/o SSL on my end, it's a bit hard for me to debug.

Anyway, your last reply is very interesting. Since the 1.4 version is working w/o SSL for you, but only fails with SSL enabled, we have narrowed down the potential error causes.

That brings me to my next question: Does the "Test server connection" menu option work for you if you have not enabled SSL and set the correct port in the preferences?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-12

If SSL is not enabled (and using port 119), the "Test server connection" menu option works fine for v1.4.1.2. Downloading files sometimes works but at best erratically with many "trying to reconnect" messages (sometimes it does not work at all); the downloading speed is also low (0 to about 60 KB/s). But when I immediately switched to v1.3.5 (with or without SSL turned on) there were no more "trying to reconnect" messages and the downloading speed was back to normal (usually between 100 and 350 KB/s). However, I'll need further testing to see whether this is true in general.

I am attaching 3 screenshots showing: "the SSL Setting", "with SSL Fails", and "No SSL Works".

I am also pasting the log file for both cases: +SSL and No SSL:

DEBUG: 1| > Connecting to server 'news.newsguy.com/74.209.136.97' on port 563
    DEBUG: 2| > Connecting to server 'news.newsguy.com/74.209.136.97' on port 563
    DEBUG: 1| > Connecting to server 'news.newsguy.com/74.209.136.97' on port 119
    DEBUG: 2| > Connecting to server 'news.newsguy.com/74.209.136.97' on port 119

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-12

That is really weird, frankly at the moment I do not see why it would work with 1.3 but not with 1.4 for you. I tried three different Usenet providers now, with and w/o SSL, and it's working fine with both HelloNzb versions.

Since I cannot reproduce the problem on my side at all, it's very hard for me to debug. So I see two options:

1.) I test it with your provider (newsguy.com) myself, or
    2.) I add tons of debug messages to a test version and you run that

I would prefer option 1, that's much easier for me to debug. Thus I have written to the newsguy.com support and asked them for a free account which I could use to test the connections. I will let you know as soon as I got feedback from them.

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-14

Ok, so your Usenet provider kindly provided a test account for me. I can reproduce your problem now. Will see what the problem is and get back to you soon!

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-14

So I think I have found the error that causes your troubles. Could you please test the attached test version of HelloNzb -- does both, testing the server connection and normal downloading work for you now?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-15

I tried to execute the exe file but nothing seemed to happen. No HelloNzb window and no error messages. Same for the jar file. I expected to see javaw.exe in the Windows Task Manager but it was not there. Tried both v1.3.5 and v1.4.1.2 and javaw.exe was there. Wonder whether there is an incompatibility with my Java installation.

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-15

Yes that is probably the case.
    Do you have latest Java 8 installed?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-16

After upgrading my Java Runtime, I am happy to inform you that both the exe and jar versions of this test build worked very well so far, with SSL turned on or off. Just wondering what was the problem with v1.4.1.2 with regard to my news provider (if there is a simple and brief explanation, just curious).

A very minor request: please add a little color to the UI.

Thank you very much for all your help and very prompt responses. Thanks also for writing and releasing this very useful piece of software.

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-17

Thanks for your feedback, I am glad the update solved your issue. Apparently the problem was the server connection timeout, as your Usenet provider takes a while to authenticate a client. I have updated HelloNzb to version 1.4.2 on the web site now.

As for your UI color request: Unfortunately that is not really a minor request, it takes quite a while to change UI colors and all icons for the application. And frankly I do like these dark colors :)

Cheers!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-01-18

Maybe instead of "very minor request", I should have said "unimportant request". BTW I have donated a small amount through PayPal two days ago to show my appreciation of your work and your help. Thanks again.

• Matthias

Matthias - 2015-01-18

wow, that is very kind of you.
    Thank you very much!

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2015-04-16

the same problem and my log is
    INFO: Added content of C:\Users\naser.HelloNzb\Windows 7 SP1 64Bits Fr All In One (Boot EFI ok).zip.nzb to queue
    INFO: Loaded new NZB file from last session: C:\Users\naser.HelloNzb\Windows 7 SP1 64Bits Fr All In One (Boot EFI ok).zip
    DEBUG: Second instance started, show window of running instance.
    WARNING: New channel could not connect to remote host

org.jboss.netty.channel.ConnectTimeoutException: connection timed out: free.xsusenet.com/81.171.92.188:119
    org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientBoss.processConnectTimeout(NioClientBoss.java:137)
    org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientBoss.process(NioClientBoss.java:83)
    org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:328)
    org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientBoss.run(NioClientBoss.java:42)
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

DEBUG: 1| > Connecting to server 'free.xsusenet.com/81.171.92.188' on port 119

java.io.IOException: Could not connect to remote server
    me.mabra.hellonzb.nntpclient.nioengine.NettyNioClient.createNewChannel(Unknown Source)
    me.mabra.hellonzb.nntpclient.nioengine.NettyNioClient.run(Unknown Source)

org.jboss.netty.channel.ConnectTimeoutException: connection timed out: free.xsusenet.com/81.171.92.188:119
    org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientBoss.processConnectTimeout(NioClientBoss.java:137)
    org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.AbstractNioSelector.run(AbstractNioSelector.java:328)

me.mabra.hellonzb.nntpclient.nioengine.NettyNioClient.createNewChannel(Unknown Source)

• nasersd

nasersd - 2015-04-16

also I use 1.4.2 the same problem my log file is :
    INFO: Added content of C:\Users\naser.HelloNzb\Windows 7 SP1 64Bits Fr All In One (Boot EFI ok).zip.nzb to queue
    INFO: Loaded new NZB file from last session: C:\Users\naser.HelloNzb\Windows 7 SP1 64Bits Fr All In One (Boot EFI ok).zip

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel