2015-11-12
2015-12-14
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Ray Nehem

Ray Nehem - 2015-11-12

Now longer works on 10.6.8 and 10.7.5

• Steve Watkins

Steve Watkins - 2015-11-14

As of a couple of days ago, Meteorolgist 1.6.1 build 1 has quit working altogether under El Capitan 10.11.1. It would be nice to get an update soon to restore functionality!

• Vito

Vito - 2015-11-14

Meteorologist v1.6.1 no longer works in OS X 10.8.5 either. Since it was working fine the last time I used it, I presume that the trouble (as usual) is due to yet more changes at weather.com.

Last edit: Vito 2015-11-14
    • John Samtak

John Samtak - 2015-11-14

1.6.1 Stopped working for me Nov 13 (Friday the 13th?) OSX 10.6.8

Last edit: John Samtak 2015-11-14
  • Paul Blumstein

Paul Blumstein - 2015-11-12

not working on 10.10.5. How do we get the attention of the developer?

• EdwardD20

EdwardD20 - 2015-11-12

He's paying attention. :)

• xyzzy

xyzzy - 2015-11-12

Meteo started failing for me about 2 days ago. It's not like anyone should be surprised by this. We all knew this day would come. For me it's the end of the line using Meteo since I use OS X 10.6.7 Snow Leopard.

FYI and FWIW, for maybe all 6 of you out there like me who (a) want a pretty good (but of course not as good) functional replacement to Meteo, (b) can't/don't want to use EdwardD20's new version (yet?), (c) use Firefox and don't mind a weather addon in there, I recommend the "Forecastfox (fix version)" addon. It uses AccuWeather.com which I suppose may introduce yet another condition/restriction.

I've been using the addon for about a month now and it doesn't seem too bad. It was/is hard letting go of Meteo after all these years but as I said at the beginning I knew 1.6.1 days were numbered so I had to start looking for a replacment.

• mzinformed

mzinformed - 2015-11-13

Thank you for the tip on Forecast (fix version). I too am using OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. Forecast is working fine for me but I do miss having Meteo up there in the menu bar. It will do the job until I eventually have to bite the bullet and upgrade to a newer version of OSX with all the iOS stuff that I neither need nor want.

• xyzzy

xyzzy - 2015-11-14

I agree it was nice in the menu bar which is basically part of what I had in mind when I said it "was/is hard letting go of Meteo after all these years". But these days I spend a lot of time in the browser so I just have to get used to looking a little lower on my monitor :-)

I did give the Forecastfox author (pag77) a little feedback (anon42 posts here, here, and here). It's a shame that Meteo failed when it did since I wanted to give the author some examples of its output in my last post there. Oh well. It is what it is.

Last edit: xyzzy 2015-11-14
  • Robbo

Robbo - 2015-11-12

My version of 1.6.1 on OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan quit working for me today, too. I'm sad to finally remove it from my Login Items. Ed's alpha version is running fine and looks great, but the Yahoo! dataset he's testing with doesn't include heat index, dewpoint temperature, or UV Index - all very useful figures for my tropical location.

Last edit: Robbo 2015-11-12
    • diderot

diderot - 2015-11-13

Wait, where do I get the Alpha version? I don't see it on the sourceforge download page...

EDIT: Oh, I see--is this the link to the latest version?
      https://sourceforge.net/p/heat-meteo/discussion/386598/thread/09e54ed4/

It works, so thanks! The spacing between the weather icon and the text in the menubar seems a little tight and mysteriously the text is in Courier, but that is a minor nitpick. Interesting that its source is Yahoo weather--I was wondering if NOAA would be ultimately more stable (I notice that Weatherman uses NOAA-it would be an okay alternative if not for its really ugly icons/text/layout).

Last edit: diderot 2015-11-13
  • doug

doug - 2015-11-13

I am running both Maverikes, 10.9.5, and El Capitan, 10.11.1, and version 1.6.1 is still working just fine on both systems for me, except for the radar, which has been out due to Weather.com changes.

• Marie

Marie - 2015-11-13

@doug: are you sure? See the last data date. Quit and relaunch Meteorologist. I thought too it was still working until I did that.

• doug

doug - 2015-11-13

Bad timing. It was working when I posted 9 hours ago but this morning it is NOT working. Maybe I'm just slow.

• tokahoma

tokahoma - 2015-11-13

yeah, but for me meteo works but isn't it a weather.com connection problem?

• tokahoma

tokahoma - 2015-11-13

no sun will shine in our day today (no sun will shine)
    the high yellow moon won't come out to play (won't come out to play)
    darkness has covered our life, it has changed the day into night...

• Richard E

Richard E - 2015-11-13

Can't someone make a fix to get Meteologist to work on say Yahoo.com weather?

• doug

doug - 2015-11-13

I believe that the current version, 2.0.0.a10 is using Yahoo weather.

• RLW

RLW - 2015-11-16

I don't think it has anything to do with which version of OS X you're using. It doesn't work for me in Mac OS X 10.8.5. There is a circle with a question mark in it showing in the Menu Bar where the temperature is supposed to be. Refresh does nothing. Quitting and restarting does nothing. Restarting the computer does nothing.

It is still showing in the Menu Bar on my MacBook Pro in Mac OS X 10.6.8, and shows that it was last refreshed on 11/11/15 at 12:45 p.m. Central Time. Trying to refresh does absolutely nothing.

Last edit: RLW 2015-11-16
  • GVK

GVK - 2015-11-16

Not working on new Mac Mini or on a much older one either. Both show the question mark. Reinstall brings up only Cupertino default but no data. Old one stuck with my old location list. The app is KAPUT, and promises to remain so. Is there NO current maintainer with access to the source code ?

• EdwardD20

EdwardD20 - 2015-11-17

For those who are paying attention, I released another alpha version this evening (actually 2). Specifically because of the problems with Yahoo! data, I added a second weather source, OpenWeatherMap.org. This one has it’s own set of problems. With the free license, it is limited to 50 calls per hour and 50,000 calls per day. Now that’s shared amongst ALL Meteorologist users. But not everybody will necessarily be using OpenWeatherMap.org. It’s your choice. OpenWeatherMap.org also states that the weather is only updated every 1 to 2 hours. But on the positive side, they offer a 7 day forecast vs. 5 days that Yahoo! offers (vs. 9 or 10 days that weather.com had). OpenWeatherMap.org might require some more magic to solve some of the problems mentioned earlier.

Going on to a second topic, alpha software. What exactly is alpha software? It’s software that isn’t done. It’s not been heavily tested. What does this mean? Perhaps nothing. I could have released the software 12 releases ago and simply called each release 2.0.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, etc or even 2.0.0, 2.1.0, 2.2.0, etc and most people would not have batted an eye. Instead I choose to call them 2.0.0.a1-> .a12

When I started working on 2.0.0, 1.6.1 was happily humming along and I had plenty of time to do what I wanted with this version. With the complete meltdown of 1.6.1, that changes things. Many people don’t know about 2.0.0.aXXX and are simply lost. Should I officially start releasing 2.0.0 to make them happy? As stated early on, 2.0.0 requires OS X 10.9 or higher. There are many who are still on PPC machines running 10.4. Unfortunately they are toast.

Localization - Meteorologist 1.6.1 existed in I think 6 languages. Meteo2 right now is 1, English. I think it’s ready for localization but I don’t know for sure. Think back to alpha software not being done. Is it worth translating to additional languages if it’s not really done? For us ‘Merican’s, English is fine. But for our brothers and sisters elsewhere, that’s almost as bad as not working at all.

There are features in 1.6.1 that are missing in 2.0.0. In some ways that doesn’t really matter now that 1.6.1 is DOA. (I will note that a few are reporting that 1.6.1 is still working for them. I don’t know how, but it is.)

Source. Many of you have asked about the 2.0.0 source. I’ve actually started uploading it into SVN, into the trunk layer. It’s designed to run on Xcode 7 or later (I’m on 7.1.1 right now). Look around and you should be able to find the source. I’m updating it as I continue to make changes so keep current.

Meteo2 was named Meteo2 so it could co-live with Meteorologist v1.6.1. Again since 1.6.1 is dead, should I rename Meteo2 to Meteorologist?

Is Meteorologist 1.6.1 really dead? I can tell you it won’t compile on Xcode 5, 6, or 7. But if somebody has a Xcode 3 or 4 system still lying around, and they are a developer, they could probably get the old code to compile. Not sure how they will work around the weather.com changes, but that’s a slightly different issue. The source for Meteorologist 1.6.1 is also in SVN, in it’s own branch.

Please don’t think I whining by any means. I love to code. I don’t mind being bombarded with questions. That’s fine. I would actually love to hear from more people about features that are working good or bad. I only really test it the way I use it. There are 1000’s of variations. But also realize I do have a day job (which happens to also be writing code).

One more thing about alpha copies and updates. Meteo2 only looks for updates when it’s first started (like when you boot). If I update Meteo2 daily and you only boot weekly, then “you are” missing out on the latest version (that might be good or bad).

For now, I’m going to keep with the alpha copies and try to pop out a new alpha every day or two. For those having trouble finding the link to download the latest alpha copy, here is a direct link: http://www.danleys.org/Meteo2.zip. Yes it’s being hosted on my personal server for now so please don’t overload my server.

Thanks all for listening. Hope you find this useful.

Ed

• Raygol

Raygol - 2015-11-17

Thanks Ed for this version.
      I am trying the OpenWeatherMap, and surprisingly the Radar Map works for me. The one from Yahoo was indifferent to my kindness.
      Still missing the 9 days forecast, and hoping it would come one day.
      Once again, thanks

On 17נוב׳, 2015, at 6:08, EdwardD20 edwardd20@users.sf.net wrote:

For those who are paying attention, I released another alpha version this evening (actually 2). Specifically because of the problems with Yahoo! data, I added a second weather source, OpenWeatherMap.org http://openweathermap.org/. This one has it’s own set of problems. With the free license, it is limited to 50 calls per hour and 50,000 calls per day. Now that’s shared amongst ALL Meteorologist users. But not everybody will necessarily be using OpenWeatherMap.org http://openweathermap.org/. It’s your choice. OpenWeatherMap.org http://openweathermap.org/ also states that the weather is only updated every 1 to 2 hours. But on the positive side, they offer a 7 day forecast vs. 5 days that Yahoo! offers (vs. 9 or 10 days that weather.com had). OpenWeatherMap.org http://openweathermap.org/ might require some more magic to solve some of the problems mentioned earlier.

Going on to a second topic, alpha software. What exactly is alpha software? It’s software that isn’t done. It’s not been heavily tested. What does this mean? Perhaps nothing. I could have released the software 12 releases ago and simply called each release 2.0.0, 2.0.1, 2.0.2, etc or even 2.0.0, 2.1.0, 2.2.0, etc and most people would not have batted an eye. Instead I choose to call them 2.0.0.a1-> .a12

When I started working on 2.0.0, 1.6.1 was happily humming along and I had plenty of time to do what I wanted with this version. With the complete meltdown of 1.6.1, that changes things. Many people don’t know about 2.0.0.aXXX and are simply lost. Should I officially start releasing 2.0.0 to make them happy? As stated early on, 2.0.0 requires OS X 10.9 or higher. There are many who are still on PPC machines running 10.4. Unfortunately they are toast.

Localization - Meteorologist 1.6.1 existed in I think 6 languages. Meteo2 right now is 1, English. I think it’s ready for localization but I don’t know for sure. Think back to alpha software not being done. Is it worth translating to additional languages if it’s not really done? For us ‘Merican’s, English is fine. But for our brothers and sisters elsewhere, that’s almost as bad as not working at all.

There are features in 1.6.1 that are missing in 2.0.0. In some ways that doesn’t really matter now that 1.6.1 is DOA. (I will note that a few are reporting that 1.6.1 is still working for them. I don’t know how, but it is.)

Source. Many of you have asked about the 2.0.0 source. I’ve actually started uploading it into SVN, into the trunk layer. It’s designed to run on Xcode 7 or later (I’m on 7.1.1 right now). Look around and you should be able to find the source. I’m updating it as I continue to make changes so keep current.

Meteo2 was named Meteo2 so it could co-live with Meteorologist v1.6.1. Again since 1.6.1 is dead, should I rename Meteo2 to Meteorologist?

Is Meteorologist 1.6.1 really dead? I can tell you it won’t compile on Xcode 5, 6, or 7. But if somebody has a Xcode 3 or 4 system still lying around, and they are a developer, they could probably get the old code to compile. Not sure how they will work around the weather.com changes, but that’s a slightly different issue. The source for Meteorologist 1.6.1 is also in SVN, in it’s own branch.

Please don’t think I whining by any means. I love to code. I don’t mind being bombarded with questions. That’s fine. I would actually love to hear from more people about features that are working good or bad. I only really test it the way I use it. There are 1000’s of variations. But also realize I do have a day job (which happens to also be writing code).

One more thing about alpha copies and updates. Meteo2 only looks for updates when it’s first started (like when you boot). If I update Meteo2 daily and you only boot weekly, then “you are” missing out on the latest version (that might be good or bad).

For now, I’m going to keep with the alpha copies and try to pop out a new alpha every day or two. For those having trouble finding the link to download the latest alpha copy, here is a direct link: http://www.danleys.org/Meteo2.zip http://www.danleys.org/Meteo2.zip. Yes it’s being hosted on my personal server for now so please don’t overload my server.

Thanks all for listening. Hope you find this useful.

Ed

V 1.6.1 https://sourceforge.net/p/heat-meteo/discussion/268087/thread/acea0a09/?limit=25#ce18
      Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/heat-meteo/discussion/268087/ https://sourceforge.net/p/heat-meteo/discussion/268087/
      To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/ https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Routemaster

Routemaster - 2015-11-17

Thanks for the new version. The OpenWeatherMap source appears to give the correct and current information whereas the Yahho feed is still all over the place (I mean time).
      The only change I would request is the replacement of Courier font with something closer to Apple's San Francisco.

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)