Menu

Error 0x22BE

Nicolas
2006-10-10
2013-02-08
  • Nicolas

Nicolas - 2006-10-10

I have a DRDOS 7.03 image and I boot via PXE my system and use memdisk to load this image. Everything works fine but when I want to use tiny.exe or boot.exe to boot my linux kernel, I get the following error #ERROR: 022BE loading file

I've read the faq about memory problem, but I have 57Mo of Extended via XMS memory

Any ideas about this problem ?

Thanks

Nicolas

• Etienne LORRAIN

Etienne LORRAIN - 2006-10-11

From file fs.c:
      function system_file_load() calls DOS_system_file_load() which returns 0x2BE
      DOS_system_file_load() calls gzlib_extract() which returns 0xBE
      gzlib_extract() calls vmlinuz_header_treat() which returns 0x0E
      From file util.c:
      gzlib_extract() returns 0x0E with this comment:
        else {
          ZDBG ((" [gzip signature not found] "));
          return 0x0E;
          }

Are you using the latest Gujin version 1.5, if yes are you using one of those linux-2.4 kernels which have been patched to support better compression (two exist, one probably legal based on BZIP2 compression, one based on UPX which is illegal to use with the Linux kernel) ?
      Those patches are no more supported for linux-2.6, so I am reluctant to spend much time on them. If you are really using linux-2.6, I would like to see the patches you applied.
      Gujin uses the 32 bits entry point of the Linux kernel; now that I have a fully working Gujin kernel patch (for /boot/linux.kgz), I may back down on this interface and re-use the 16 bits entry point (with the loss of functionnalities associated) - but my todo list is very long.
      The other thing I'd like to do is to add a layer (written in C with GCC) which glues the linux.kgz into an interface useable with all the other bootloaders (with a nice linker script), but it takes time.

May I ask you why you are using memdisk/DRDOS instead of simply having a floppy/disk image generated by "instboot" downloaded by PXE - that would limit the number of problems due to HIMEM and DOS, and instboot can generate whatever disk size you need?

Cheers,
      Etienne.

• Nicolas

Nicolas - 2006-10-29

Hi,

sorry for my late answer. The kernel I try to load with gujin is the RedHat Entreprise 4 kernel (2.6.9) from the cdrom, in the pxeboot directory. I think I was using gujin 1.5 as I have downloaded the lastest version on your website.

I'm using a DrDOS image because before loading the linux kernel, I need to launch some other programs to create, for example, the RAID system, and some of these programs are only available for dos. And also, I know of to boot a linux kernel from DOS, but not from an already running linux kernel :)

Regards

Nicolas

• Etienne LORRAIN

Etienne LORRAIN - 2006-10-31

Hi,

Unfortunately I did not acheive to reproduce, maybe because I just have Fedora kernels (same version in PXE directory boots fine for me). Do you know of an address where I can get this kernel, or can you send it to me, with the initrd? I need to run "dbgload.exe" and "make lotiny_exe; lotiny.exe" to know more about this problem.
      As another test, do you know if Gujin's "boot.exe" works with those kernels (you may have to copy the kernel and its initrd in /boot directory for boot.exe to find them), to see if there is a difference with Gujin's "tiny.exe"; and are you sure this kernel is not simply corrupted - DVD may have one fault?

Thanks,
      Etienne.

• Nicolas

Nicolas - 2006-11-07

Hello,

I can send it to you if needed. I have also try boot.exe, and I got the same error message. I'm sur it is not corrupted because linld.com can boot it without problems

Regards

Nicolas

• Etienne LORRAIN

Etienne LORRAIN - 2006-11-11

I am still not able to reproduce, even the Centos ditribution files boot for me,
      and I had to do that Gujin release before going to my next week holidays.
      I am still interrested to correct any bug I can reproduce.

Regards,
      Etienne.