Menu

boot iso working

law man
2008-09-13
2013-02-08
  • law man

law man - 2008-09-13

hi,

i found a program which lets you boot from a standard *,iso file without doing cat command to a partition.

details are here:  http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=8955&st=0

i was wondering if you could use some information from it or the author to adapt gujin to boot from standard iso files

• Etienne LORRAIN

Etienne LORRAIN - 2008-09-16

Hi,

From this project description:
      Works on x86's RealMode only (so this cannot boot Windows PE, OR, WinNT based OS), `cause it hooks INT13h;

So you can boot DOS, but even then, you cannot run Linux because Linux cannot handle (virtual) BIOS disks - it wants to access the hardware directly to not depend on BIOS bugs (and for a lot of other reasons). (INT13h is the DISK BIOS)

You say:
      > adapt gujin to boot from standard iso files
      did you mean:
      > adapt gujin to boot standard iso files
      Because for me Gujin can be installed as an el-torito bootloader, i.e. booting from CDROM, it just not have the "fromiso=" hook specific to Knoppix (unexistent on other CD distributions) to tell the kernel to find its root partition on a file in the CDROM.

If you wanted to boot DOS from CDROM, well that is probably possible to adapt Gujin - it is not that different from booting a BCD image.

Cheers,
      Etienne.