Menu

Alerts

Help
Osanne
2010-01-11
2013-04-25
  • Osanne

Osanne - 2010-01-11

I would like to know the answers to the questions below before I install googsystray.

1- Does googsystray produce a SOUND alert and a VISUAL alert at the same time when messages arrive in a Gmail Inbox?

2- Does googsystray produce alerts the moment a message arrives in a Gmail Inbox?  Is that the default setting or does it need to be selected (assuming it is an option) in the Settings section?   If the latter, how is it done?

3- Can the Google Talk icon be removed from the system tray once googsystray is installed, or will Google Talk not run if I do it, causing googsystray not to function?)

Thank you.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2010-01-11

1: Yes, a sound alert.  There is no visual alert (that is, a popup or anything like that, but I'm putting that in in the next version, some people apparently love annoying popups), although by default the icons are hidden and will appear when there's an unread message.
    2: Yes.
    3: There is no Google Talk support at the moment.

• Osanne

Osanne - 2010-01-11

1- Regarding your response to my question (# 3) about Google Talk.  The Google Talk instant messenger is what notifies me (visual alert only) of message arrivals in my Gmail Inbox, and its icon appears in my system tray.   My goal is to use googsystray to eliminate running the Google Talk instant messenger and its icon from appearing in my system tray, as I do not use its instant message function, only its alert function for my Gmail Inbox. 

2- When will the googsystray version with sound and visual (popup) alerts be out?  I am going to wait for it to install googsystray.  Could I be notified when it is out?

3- Can iGoogle be accessed from the googsystray icon in the system tray?

Thank you.

• Jim Duchek

Jim Duchek - 2010-01-11

Ah, yes.  You'd be able to remove the google talk service.  As for 1.2 - I'm not sure yet when it will be out.  Probably towards the end of the month.  You can subscribe to the RSS feed @ http://googsystray.sf.net  to get a notification.

No, there's no igoogle support.