custom paper size Epson Stylus Pro 4900

Help
hf1
2012-01-16
2013-05-29
  • hf1

hf1 - 2012-01-16

Hello,

can anybody please give me a hint on the following problem with an Epson Stylus Pro 4900 and custom print sizes please?

First of all: apart from the issue below the printer works perfectly well with the 4880 driver. CUPS says:
    Epson Stylus Pro 4900 with driver Epson Stylus Pro 4880 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.6

The only problem is that as soon as I try to use custom paper sizes, the print output is completely messed up.
    The paper is almost completely printed with black color with some kind of "grid" on it.

If I print an image from gimp and select  Print -> ImageSettings the preview shows the expected image.
    The driver seems to send the correct paper size to the printer, as the cutter cuts off the correct paper size
    when I use roll paper.

I am aware that it might be a bit risky to  use the 4880 driver with the 4900 printer, but as everything apart from this custom paper size issue seems to work find, I dared to ask if this might be a more general problem.

Thanks for any response in advance

Harald

• Robert Krawitz

Robert Krawitz - 2012-01-16

What platform are you using?  Does printing work correctly to standard paper sizes?

In any event, I suggest upgrading to Gutenprint 5.2.7; it has many improvements for the x880 printers.

• hf1

hf1 - 2012-01-19

Hello,
    thanks for your reply and your suggestion.
    Standard paper sizes (I tried A4, A3 and A2) work fine with cut paper and with roll paper as well.
    I am using Suse Linux 11.3.
    I will try to update and report.
    Thanks a lot.
    Kind regards
    Harald

• hf1

hf1 - 2012-01-20

Updating to 5.2.7 seems to solve the problem indeed!
    Thanks you very much.
    Feel free to ask me for help If you ever require tests performed on an Epson Stylus Pro 4900.
    Kind regards
    Harald

• hf1

hf1 - 2012-01-30

Hello

I am afraid, that I have to take my last statement back:
    The Epson Sylus Pro 4880 drivers do not seem to work properly with the Epson Stylus Pro 4900 printer.
    I observe the following problems:
    (1) Printing the Cups test page results in an incompletely printed page. Approximately 5 mm are left white at the bottom of the page.
    (2) There is a really weird problem when I try to print photographs with text from gimp.  The text is printed correctly if it is in the same direction as the head of the printer moves, but the text is hardly readable if it is rotated by 90 degrees. The letters look as if big pixels would be missing. I find this really, really strange as the photographs (printed in highest resolution/quality) look perfect. I don't understand why there seems to be a difference between text and photo/graphics as both are simply pixels on a canvas.
    (3) In many (most?) cases the print area seems to be shifted towards the top of the page, i.e. at the beginning (bottom) of the page the margin is too wide and at the end (top) parts of the image are missing.

Bottom line: I will (try to) downgrade to  Gutenprint v5.2.6.

If anybody is willing to work on a driver for the 4900 printer, feel free to contact me for cooperation.

Kind regards

Harald