Menu

Three more undocumented items for the Help file

Anonymous
2014-04-16
2014-05-16
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-04-16

I don't think these have been recorded before. But I just noticed the following three relational operators are in the language:

~ can be used in place of <>

{ can be used in place of <=

} can be used in place of >=

I prefer the longhand form of the relationals, but since these are recognized, we probably ought to include them in the Help file.

• Hugh Considine

Hugh Considine - 2014-04-16

These are indeed supported, but they are really meant as internal workarounds. There is a limitation in the compiler that prevents operators from being more than one character in length, so <>, <=, >=, += and -= are all translated into something else in the preprocessor. This is a bit of a dodgy workaround, and one day I hope to remove these. I always use <>, <= and >= personally.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2014-04-16

I will add a note to the help file.

Anobium

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-04-16

Thanks for the explanation, Hugh. That being the case, maybe it would be best NOT to mention these tokens in the Help file, since they are really meant as internal dealings. Source code should reveal, not conceal, and if everyone started using the internal symbols, it might just make things harder to read.

• Anobium

Anobium - 2014-04-16

I would like to recommend I add to the documentation with a caveat. This does explain (to me) how when making a typing mistake with those characters... I got very odd code!

:-)

• Hugh Considine

Hugh Considine - 2014-04-16

That sounds good Anobium!

• Anobium

Anobium - 2014-05-16

Added to May 2014 Help File.