Using GCB to Program Arduino

joe rocci
2011-10-11
2013-05-30
  • joe rocci
    joe rocci
    2011-10-11

I've been using GCB and Prithvi IDE to program an Arduino Uno board. The technique should be also applicable to programming other Arduino boards. If there is interest, let me know and I'll post instructions.

Joe

• LAP
    LAP
    2011-11-10

Many thanks, I appreciate your efforts a lot!!

I have found your W3JDR site, and it seems very good, so I have now ordered an Arduino Uno.

I really like things made easy, like your Arduino instruction.
    I will try the tools you mention in your "Programming Arduino with GCBasic" instruction , but would it be possible that you add "Blinking LED" GCBasic demo file in the instruction, so that it is even easier to get started?
    In case it is to any help, the description for the Arduino Uno I ordered  stated "Built in LED connected to digital pin 13".

• joe rocci
    joe rocci
    2011-11-10

Actually, that web site isn't intended to be used just yet. Some of the instructions I published there are only "half-baked" and twice as difficult as it needs to be. There's now a much simpler method using Crimson Editor instead of Prithvi,  and GCBasic's built-in assembler (GCASM). On the bright side, it all works very smoothly and it's quite easy to write GCBasic code for Arduino. I'm successfully writing to an Arduino LCD shield using a program that has multiple timer interrupts in addition to various inputs and outputs. I'll try to find time to update the site and I'll post here when it's ready.

Joe

• LAP
    LAP
    2011-11-11

Very good.
    Seems like you are getting to the essence of it.

Keep up the good work, and looking forward to see the results when it is ready.

• joe rocci
    joe rocci
    2011-11-11

I did a bit of updating, including the blink LED example you requested.

• Are you planning any further updates to the W3JDR pages such as more detail on how to actually program an UNO32 with GCBASIC?
    You don't mention what programmer to use or how to connect it. I assume you are using the ICSP header or are you using the bootloader?

• joe rocci
    joe rocci
    2012-06-11

The technique I published assumes you have one of the standard 8-bit Arduino boards based on the Atmega328 chip. In concept, the technique should work with any Arduino board that uses a processor supported by GCBasic, but I don't believe that includes PIC32 chips. From what I can see, the UNO32 uses a 32-bit PIC processor, and so it's not really an Arduino board, just a work-alike.

Programming is done using the standard Arduino bootloader which is already programmed into the Atmega328 when you purchased the Arduino board. There is no external programmer necessary, just a USB connection from the Arduino to your PC and the XLoader utility.