Menu

Thoughts on hierarchy

2001-04-24
2001-04-30
  • Ryan Hulsker

Ryan Hulsker - 2001-04-24

Sorry for disappearing on you all there for a while.  I recently bought my first house and have been busy renovating and moving in.  I have also spent some time re-acquainting myself with SQL.

I think that we should control namespace in a hierarchal manner.  Like insuring that sovereign space names and Ids are unique. And then insuring that company/planet/character names are unique within each sovereign space, and that ship names are unique within each character or company. However ship IDs should be unique across an entire sovereign space and each sovereign space should have a standard prefix (which is unique across the entire game space) that is attached to anything from that sovereign space.

Lets say there is a sovereign space named “Necrochron” This name should be unique in the worldwide game space.  Necrochron is actually a server operated by a sysadmin.  When he signs up he is given the sovereign space Id of “NCC”

Buddy registers at his server and gets the name “Buddy” . As long as he is in his home sovereign space he is refered to as “Buddy” and no one else in this space can use the character name “Buddy”.  When he is operating in another sovereign space he is refered to as “[NCC]-Buddy” in case there is someone else in that space using the name “Buddy”.  Same goes for his ships.  He can have a ship named “Enterprise” but only one.  The ship is given an Id like “1701” which is unique in his home sovereign space. And when prefixed with the home sovereign space Id is unique in the game world ( that makes it NCC-1701 – Enterprise in case you didn’t notice :-) ).  Someone else could have a ship in NCC named Enterprise but the Id would be different.

We could have an internal messaging system that would rely on this type of hierarchy.  &#8220;<charactername>@<sovereign space Id>&#8221; would uniquely identify anyone.

Howlett

• Ryan Hulsker

Ryan Hulsker - 2001-04-24

Jesus, that turned into a mess didn't it?

Oh well you should all still be able to decipher it...

Howlett

• Ted Goldenberg

Ted Goldenberg - 2001-04-30

I think that's an excellent idea for how name registration should work. I also think that everyone should be able to register a logo for their fleet as well, something like a 128 x 128 pixel gif.