Anton - 2011-12-30

Hi,
I want to do the following, and I'm not sure of the best way to do it, or whether fwbuilder is going to help me (seems so…) - any pointers appreciated:
I have several different public IP ranges that I want to put onto a firewall. These belong to different ISPs, so are not contiguous or even the same size.
On the internal side, I have N machines, each of which should have an IP that will match each public IP. I was thinking of putting each of the /24s on the external side onto a /16 internally, so probably having something like 10.A.B.N, where A corresponds to a /24 on the outside, B corresponds to the /32 on the outside and N is machine1, machine2, etc., giving me potentially 250-odd machines (not that there will ever probably be more than 6-8).
AFAICT, I need to use policy-based routing in order to have the right gateways used. At least I know this is one possible solution - if there are other better ones I'm all ears!
It appears the policy-based routing could be done either on the source machines (routing to several different gw addresses on the FW) or on the FW. I couldn't see how to do this with fwbuilder - is this possible with fwbuilder while putting everything on the FW? I was pretty keen to take care of IPs using fwbuilder - if i still want to have fwbuilder do IPs and other stuff am I going to run into trouble with setting up routing (assuming setting up policy-based routing is not supported)?
If this is not supported or is going to cause me trouble - are there any ways to do this with fwbuilder generated configs?
For a little more context - I have around 1700 public IPs in 4 ranges - I'm only doing very basic NAT but that is still a lot of IPs… I have no experience with BSD but from a bit of reading pf seems to be slightly more performant for this type of use case - am I going to find performance problems with iptables at these numbers compared with free/openbsd? I will also be wanting to cluster for HA. This definitely seems supported with fwbuilder, though maybe not for my use case?
Any help or insults most welcome!
Thanks
Anton