Menu

Invalid IGES files?

gnipper
2006-01-09
2013-04-19
  • gnipper

gnipper - 2006-01-09

Hi Martijn,

The exported IGES files from FREE!Ship  do not seem to be readable by Solidworks. The error given is: 'Unable to read IGES file. File was truncated or contains invalid data'.

Just wondered if you had been able to test this or anyone else has had the same problem with Solidworks.

• Marven

Marven - 2006-01-09

I haven't tested the IGES files with Solidworks since I haven't got Solidworks. I tested them with Rhino, but then again that's probably not the best choice for testing them since Rhino is known for the fact that it accepts almost any IGES file, even those rejected by other programs. I assume you have tested several files, and Solidworks does not report any other information than you mentioned above?

• Andrey

Andrey - 2006-01-11

I am testing some revised version of the program, SolidWorks 2006 is usually quite tolerant of IGES for m just about any place. But I got the same truncation error so I gave Inventor 7 a shot. It opened the file but the model had lots of gaps and errors. Please not that IGES  format dos not have a standard and varies from one “CAD” package to the next. Getting Free!Ship to create a good file may take some effort before a good file can be produced on several systems. I had similar issues last year when we were creating IGES in CATI 4 for ProE. Unfortunately we did not have the option to modify the conversion cod we had to use a secondary program in that case I used my SolidWorks 04. So as you can see this may take some time and some programs may still have problems with this file.
      Andey Factor
      Just a MOKANIK