Menu

A very frustrating problem

Help
2013-04-13
2013-04-15
  • Gary Millard

Gary Millard - 2013-04-13

When FFDShow is invoked by windows explorer (under at least 32bit Vista home basic) to produce a thumbnail DLLHost is invoked, the thumbnail is produced, an FFDShow icon shows up in the task bar - all is well with the world EXCEPT DLLHost is never released, the FFDShow codec is never released, and the file remains open. The only way to close everything up is to kill the DLLHost process. This is bad enough as it is but there are less obvious implications like not being able to access the folder that the file is open in - that problem can drive you absolutely batty until you discover the underlying cause, goodness knows how many other problems have this as the root cause.

What astounds me most though is that there isn't a multitude of users complaining about this very annoying problem that has been around for many versions of FFDShow right up to the latest. I cannot accept that it is unique to my system - there are only 2 components involved FFDShow and DLLHost (unless you include Windows Explorer) - everyone is using the same versions of these components. A search on this forum on the keyword dllhost returns diddly squat - every other problem report relating to FFDShow and DLLHost (via google) involves a crash or excessive memory usage - these appear to be completely separate issues.

Any help at all on this would be appreciated - even if it is to verify that it is happening or NOT on your Vista 32bit home basic setup (or any other if it IS happening).

• Gary Millard

Gary Millard - 2013-04-13

I should have added that this is NOT restricted to thumbnails - it happens when ever a video is opened through an FFDShow codec - it's just less anticipated when thumbnails are created.

• clsid

clsid - 2013-04-15

It seems you are using a very old version of ffdshow. Any version from the past few years already includes a workaround for this Windows bug.

You can eliminate the problem completely by using a different thumbnailing shell extension, such as Icaros or Media Preview. Those do not rely on external codecs such as ffdshow.