Menu

Delphi XE2 memory leaks

Help
2012-07-09
2013-05-23
  • Daniel Holmes

Daniel Holmes - 2012-07-09

I searched the forum for 'Delphi XE2 RAD' but none of the topics were for my compiler.  I have a lot of questions.

The readme,txt from the svn does not cover these questions.  Is there another text file I should read?  Would it answer these specific questions?  I was very hopeful when I found these libraries, but I can't have memory leaks and as mentioned below there is no txt file that is written into my project folder if I turn logging on.

{$define FullDebugMode}
    {$define LogMemoryLeakDetailToFile}

I have not programmed since Borland Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS so I have no idea what the current jargon is for everything.  I am not familiar so I with the GUI or IDE so I didn't see how to install this and I didn't see a groupproj file.

1: Is FastMM fully compatible with Delphi XE2 RAD?
    2: I added FastMM as the first unit in my project file but I get memory leaks, why?
    3: I turned on the file logging and full debug mode, but I don't see a text file dump that I can post here.  Where is it saved?
    4: I compiled a BorlndMM.dll, does it go in the folder of my project?
    5: Why would the IDE for Delphi XE2 RAD tell me that FastMM_FullDebugMode.dll doesn't exist.  It was in my project folder before I deleted all the files.  Why would it say that?
    6: I downloaded the files from the SVN is there a groupproj file?
    7: I saw the "Important Notes Regarding Delphi 2005:" and the BorlndMM.dll.  Is this issue in Delphi XE2 RAD as well and if so where is the post explaining how to fix it?

• Gary Mueller

Gary Mueller - 2012-08-08

I can't answer the question about working with XE2 because that is what I came here to verify, but I can point you in the right direction for your other questions.
    If you go to this website http://jed-software.com/blog/?p=606 and download the fastmmGUI application it will help with setting all the correct settings so you can control the log file and other settings. 
    I may have misunderstood one question but FastMM does not get rid of your memory leaks, it just reports where they are so that you can fix them.

FastMM only needs to be in your search path and the first item in you projects (.dpr) units uses list.  Once that is true it uses the settings file that is in your search path or in the projects folder.

• Gary Mueller

Gary Mueller - 2012-08-08

This might be a better link to the fastmmGUI program, it is the setup app.
    http://www.jed-software.com/files/FastMM4GUISetup.exe