Menu

No encryption to self

Anonymous
2014-09-20
2016-03-31
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-09-20

Hello,

Enigmail does not save my outgoing messages self-encrypted, so that I can't read them later again.

And I can't find any option to enable or disable self-encryption.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm using Enigmail 1.7.2.

Thanks.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-09-20

Thank you Ludwig, editing prefs.js has worked out!

Is it going to come back to UI? In my opinion it's a very important option.

• Patrick Brunschwig

No. The option should be "on" and that's it. There is no reason to modify it for normal users.

• Bill Perry

Bill Perry - 2016-03-31

I know this is an old thread; however, it would be useful if the email was not encrypted to self if the email was not copied to the "sent" folder. In other words, if there is not going to be a local copy left behind, why include a decryption key for the sender? Having the key there when not needed just gives and attacker one more vector for getting access to the email contents. i.e. emails that include a decryption key for the sender are are only as secrure as the senders private key.

It means that emails from bob to alice can be decrypted if either bob's machine or alice's machine is compromised vs just alice's

The ideal would be the ability to turn it off on a per email basis just like you can when using the command line tools.

Or possibly even have the ability to send a seperate email for each recipient so that there is only a single key per email that can decrypt the email.

Last edit: Bill Perry 2016-03-31
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-09-20

Ok, but in my case it was "off". And I have no idea why.

• Patrick Brunschwig

The default is "on"; the only way to modify the option is to change it manually. Did you have versions of Enigmail earlier than 1.7.0 installed?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-09-21

Yes.

• Ludwig Hügelschäfer

Did you switch off this option in an earlier version of Enigmail?