Menu

Automatically forward the received fax by Ema

Help
Gio
2009-03-30
2013-05-13
  • Gio

Gio - 2009-03-30

The Subject should be: How to automatically forward the received faxes via Email to a e-mail address?

Hello!

first, sorry about my terrible english! second, i am totally new in Linux and in efax-gtk.

Ok, i want use a "server" with debian and efax-gtk only for receiving faxes and automatically send (forward) the received faxes by E-mail.

At the binning i was using a internal modem, and it was a very strange thing because after a lot of trys, and with the linuxant drivers, it was not possible to use it.
    Now i have plug in a serial-external-older modem and with the first try i get a fax as a file.
    !***
    For sending i get the following error code:
    efax-0.9a: 18:13:17 opened /dev/ttyS0
    efax-0.9a: 18:13:19 using SupraExpress 336e V+ Intl in class 1
    efax-0.9a: 18:13:19 dialing P2310254037
    efax-0.9a: 18:13:24 Error: dial command failed
    efax-0.9a: 18:13:24 failed page /home/gio/scans/Veveosi ETAA -
    Rantzoglou.ps.001
    efax-0.9a: 18:13:25 finished - unrecoverable error
    !***
    but ok as i told before, i don't want at the moment send faxes... just for the history... A) i don't know what means the letter "P" before the dialing number and B) i have open a jpeg and save this with Gimp as a Postscript file the file became a ".ps" and i was using this file for truing to send.

Anyway... let me stay to my real question... but remember i am very young in Linux!

? What i have to do, to "automatically e-mail a received fax" like it is written in the Description of the package in the debian packages area of www.debian.org?

or (the same question in another way)

? What should i do, to get every incoming fax from the office place when i am in my _friends place, automatically to my e-mail?

I am very glad for every help!!!

• Chris Vine

Chris Vine - 2009-03-30

The 'P' means you have chosen pulse dialing instead of tone dialing, which may not work with your modem.  Go to the Setting dialog to change it.

Leaving that aside, in order to e-mail a received fax to a user you need to install the 'mail_fax' script somewhere in your system path, such as /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.  I have no idea whether debian does it for you.  It probably does, and if so, then all you then need to do is open up the settings dialog, go to the "Receive" tab, and in the box for the program to be executed when a fax is received, enter mail_fax.

To see if debian has already installed mail_fax for you, try 'which mail_fax' and see if it is reported.  If it is not installed, it probably stores it somewhere else, such as in /usr/share/docs/efax-gtk, and you will need to copy it into your system path and make it executable ('chmod +x mail_fax').

By default, the mail_fax script will e-mail a received fax to the user who is running efax-gtk.  If you want to send it elsewhere, you will need to specify the e-mail address concerned in the script (see MAIL_ADDR in the user options in the script).

By the way, debian may be a bit tough for someone who has never used a unix-like operating system before.  Ubuntu is based on debian but is more user friendly.

Chris