Menu

Unix ClearCase, but Windows Eclipse...

Help
ccarlton
2004-05-17
2004-05-18
  • ccarlton

ccarlton - 2004-05-17

We use Unix clearcase snapshot views. Some developers use emacs directly on the snapshot views, but others smb mount the views and use locale IDE's like eclipse/Jbuilder/etc.

I just downloaded and installed the latest version, hoping that our situation might be supported, but either it isn't, or I'm misconfigured.

I have my project deep in my smb mount, right under the src tree. I've taken my existing project, and associated it with clearcase, but when I right click, I get a message that the element isn't a clearcase element.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Shing

Shing - 2004-05-18

Did you start eclipse from the shell where you did  'cleartool setview ...' ?

• ccarlton

ccarlton - 2004-05-18

I'm not running eclipse through a unix Shell, I'm running eclipse on a windows 2000 machine that has a smb mount to a unix clearcase view.

I'm liking that I can access and use ANT features that are in that view, and was wondering if I can somehow tell eclipse that the project is all in clearcase.

• Neil Swingler

Neil Swingler - 2004-05-18

I guess that
      1) you will need clearcase installed on the windows machine
      2) the view will have to be known to clearcase on the windows machine

In the case of a snapshot view, that view would have to have been created on a windows machine.

The only way to work simultaneously (with respect to clearcase operations) on the same view in unix and windows is to use a dynamic view.

• ccarlton

ccarlton - 2004-05-18

Okay.. Got the unix version of Eclipse running, installed the plugin, but am getting wierd errors.. My .project files are within my snapshot view, and I've already associated the project with clearcase.. When I try to disassociate the project with clear case I get this error.

!SESSION May 18, 2004 17:27:40.365 ---------------------------------------------
      java.version=1.3.1_06
      java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
      BootLoader constants: OS=solaris, ARCH=sparc, WS=motif, NL=en
      Command-line arguments: -os solaris -ws motif -arch sparc -data /home/ccarlton/eclipse -install file:/export/packages/eclipse/
      !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.resources 1 1 May 18, 2004 17:27:40.369
      !MESSAGE Could not load library: libcore_2_1_0a.so.  This library provides platform-specific optimizations for certain file system operations.  This library is not present on all platforms, so this may not be an error.  The resources plug-in will safely fall back to using java.io.File functionality.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 2 May 18, 2004 17:28:24.302
      !MESSAGE Problems occurred when invoking code from plug-in: "org.eclipse.core.runtime".
      !STACK 0
      java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/xml/parsers/DocumentBuilderFactory
              at net.sourceforge.eclipseccase.ClearcasePlugin.readCommentHistory(ClearcasePlugin.java:512)
              at net.sourceforge.eclipseccase.ClearcasePlugin.loadCommentHistory(ClearcasePlugin.java:485)
              at net.sourceforge.eclipseccase.ClearcasePlugin.startup(ClearcasePlugin.java:345)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor$1.run(PluginDescriptor.java:736)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:1006)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.internalDoPluginActivation(PluginDescriptor.java:748)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.doPluginActivation(PluginDescriptor.java:188)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginClassLoader.activatePlugin(PluginClassLoader.java:112)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginClassLoader.internalFindClassParentsSelf(PluginClassLoader.java:185)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.findClassParentsSelf(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:490)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.loadClass(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:882)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.access$0(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:876)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader$DelegateLoader.loadClass(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:90)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.findClassPrerequisites(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:554)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.loadClass(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:890)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.loadClass(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:862)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:250)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:310)
              at net.sourceforge.eclipseccase.ui.actions.DissociateProjectAction.isEnabled(DissociateProjectAction.java:82)
              at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.TeamAction.setActionEnablement(TeamAction.java:216)
              at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.TeamAction.selectionChanged(TeamAction.java:200)
              at net.sourceforge.eclipseccase.ui.actions.ClearcaseAction.selectionChanged(ClearcaseAction.java:120)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.refreshEnablement(PluginAction.java:205)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.createDelegate(PluginAction.java:106)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:222)
              at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:456)
              at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:403)
              at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$0(ActionContributionItem.java:397)
              at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$ActionListener.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:72)
              at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:81)
              at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:810)
              at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2148)
              at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:1914)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1402)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.run(Workbench.java:1385)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:858)
              at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
              at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
              at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
              at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
              at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)
      !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 May 18, 2004 17:28:24.419
      !MESSAGE Unhandled exception caught in event loop.
      !ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 May 18, 2004 17:28:24.434
      !MESSAGE "Plug-in "net.sourceforge.eclipseccase" activation failed while loading class "net.sourceforge.eclipseccase.ClearcaseProvider".
      !STACK 0
      org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingLoaderException: org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Problems encountered starting up plug-in: "net.sourceforge.eclipseccase".
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.internalDoPluginActivation(PluginDescriptor.java:754)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginDescriptor.doPluginActivation(PluginDescriptor.java:188)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginClassLoader.activatePlugin(PluginClassLoader.java:112)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.plugins.PluginClassLoader.internalFindClassParentsSelf(PluginClassLoader.java:185)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.findClassParentsSelf(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:490)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.loadClass(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:882)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.access$0(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:876)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader$DelegateLoader.loadClass(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:90)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.findClassPrerequisites(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:554)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.loadClass(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:890)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.DelegatingURLClassLoader.loadClass(DelegatingURLClassLoader.java:862)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:250)
              at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:310)
              at net.sourceforge.eclipseccase.ui.actions.DissociateProjectAction.isEnabled(DissociateProjectAction.java:82)
              at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.TeamAction.setActionEnablement(TeamAction.java:216)
              at org.eclipse.team.internal.ui.actions.TeamAction.selectionChanged(TeamAction.java:200)
              at net.sourceforge.eclipseccase.ui.actions.ClearcaseAction.selectionChanged(ClearcaseAction.java:120)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.refreshEnablement(PluginAction.java:205)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.createDelegate(PluginAction.java:106)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:222)
              at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:456)
              at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:403)
              at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$0(ActionContributionItem.java:397)
              at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$ActionListener.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:72)
              at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:81)
              at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:810)
              at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:2148)
              at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:1914)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1402)
              at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.run(Workbench.java:1385)
              at org.eclipse.core.internal.boot.InternalBootLoader.run(InternalBootLoader.java:858)
              at org.eclipse.core.boot.BootLoader.run(BootLoader.java:461)
              at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
              at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:291)
              at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:747)
              at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:583)

Are there other classpath dependencies I need to have in my classpath/shell prior to starting eclipse?

• Hal Deadman

Hal Deadman - 2004-05-18

You need to run eclipse using java 1.4.1 or higher.

• ccarlton

ccarlton - 2004-05-18

I can still choose to compile at 1.3 though correct?

• Hal Deadman

Hal Deadman - 2004-05-18

Yes you can add additional JREs and specify them for particular projects or as the default.