Menu

Suggest: Reading css'ed disc slowly again...

Ohta Kyuma
2002-03-17
2002-03-18
  • Ohta Kyuma

Ohta Kyuma - 2002-03-17

Hi,
    I'm testing cvs version (and 0.8.1pre1) of drip.
    Version 0.8.0 when before about a month , reading of css'ed disc is very fast
    (but mpu using over 80%), but recent version is slowly again (mpu using is
    about 50%).
    i.e.) 80 min of movie reading from css'ed disc (about 4GB),
           OS = Linux 2.4.18 / ix86 + glibc2.2 , MPU=K6-2/450,Drive=6x ATAPI,
           Faster version : Reading time about 20 min,mpu using 80~90%.
           Slower version : Reading time over 10 hour, mpu using 45~50%.
    # I cut off libdvdcss, reading is very fast but scrambbled :-(.

I 'm afraid reading *very long* from dvd-drive is being damaged to dvd-drive.

I suggest drip back to older algorhism , 'cos heat damage from long reading is
    very neccesary issue.

Regards,
      Artane.

• Jarl van Katwijk

Not sure what's the problem here. Just checked the differance betweem the code in Drip 0.8.0 and 0.8.1pre1, and cant find anything that's causing this slowdown. You're sure you're reading the same disk, and all libraries are linked correctly? Also there isn't anything else using CPU that might slowdown the system?

• Ohta Kyuma

Ohta Kyuma - 2002-03-18

>Not sure what's the problem here.
      > Just checked the differance betweem the code in Drip 0.8.0 and 0.8.1pre1, and cant find anything that's causing this slowdown.

It's very strange 8-)

To check, I re-compiled CVS-20020227 (0.8.0 final?) and re-testing, reading is faster (about 20 min to read 4GB ccs'ed disc) than recently 0.8.1pre-cvs (over 10 hours yet).

>You're sure you're reading the same disk, and all libraries are linked correctly?

Yes, I checked libraries,disc,all is same:-(

> Also there isn't anything else using CPU that might slowdown the system?

Yes,factor of slowdown is not exists.
        Factors are same.

Please check usage of libdvdcss and libdvdread , 'cos reading of not css'ed disc is fast,same as CVS-20020227.

Regards,
      Artane.

• Jarl van Katwijk

OK, clear. I'll have a look at this soon.