Menu

Remote index - corporate environment

2012-10-08
2013-02-26
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Markus Luisser

Markus Luisser - 2012-10-08

Hi!

I'm thinking about deploying docfetcher in a corporate environment as search tool for the network drive of a department. Talking with the IT department however, reveiled the concern, that docfetcher does not have the ability to use a single common index hostet on the network drive and accessible by the individual clients.

The standard solution to build an index per client on every personal computer of each employee is not endorsed by the IT department because generating multiple indexes over a single network drive would put an unnecessary high load on the drive.

Imho, the most clean solution would be to generate one single index on the network drive and then configure the clients to access this index read-only. The index would be rebuilt on regular basis by the IT department.

As an alternative I can only imagine to push the index onto the clients computer on regular basis, but that seems cumbersome considering the size of the index.

Do you guys have some experience with a setting like this? Can docfetcher be configured to use a index on a network drive? Any other ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Markus

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2012-10-09

Hi,

In the portable version of DocFetcher, you can set the environment variable DOCFETCHER_HOME to change the location where DocFetcher stores its files, including the indexes.

If you're on Windows, you can set this by moving the DocFetcher.bat from the misc folder up into the DocFetcher folder and adding the line "set DOCFETCHER_HOME=C:\path\to\folder" somewhere at the beginning of the DocFetcher.bat file (without the surrounding quotes). It may also be possible to set it for the DocFetcher.exe file, but I don't know how.

Note that I have not tested whether this works if the index is on a network drive, and feedback about whether you had success with it would be appreciated.

Best regards
    q:-) <= Quang

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2012-10-09

If this works, you'll probably also be interested in adjusting the following entries in the conf/program-conf.txt file, which can be accessed via "Advanced Settings" on the preferences dialog.

AllowIndexCreation = true
    AllowIndexUpdate = true
    AllowIndexRebuild = true
    AllowIndexDeletion = true

Also, you can change the entry ShowAdvancedSettingsLink to prevent users from opening the program-conf.txt file through DocFetcher's interface.

• Markus Luisser

Markus Luisser - 2012-10-17

Hi Quang!

Thanks a lot for your reply!

The second part of your post, I've figured out myself already (thanks for the summary!), your first post was exactly what I wanted to know :)

I was busy with other things in the meanwhile, but I'll test your proposed solution and will let you know how it works out.

Thanks again for the helpful reply and have a wonderful day!

Cheers

Markus

• Markus Luisser

Markus Luisser - 2012-10-22

Hi again!

I tried your suggestions, however setting the environment variable did not have the desired effect. I could not even get docfetcher to recognize a local path from the .bat file.

Is there a different way to do this? I'm willing to dig in the source code, if necessary.

Best regards!

Markus

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2012-10-23

Which version of DocFetcher did you try this with? It works for me with the portable version of DocFetcher 1.1.3 on Windows 7 64-bit with Java 64-bit.

It may help if you delete all DLL files beneath the folder DocFetcher-1.1.3\lib.

If this doesn't help either, replace "start /b javaw" with "java" in the last line of DocFetcher.bat and try running it from the terminal. If this produces an error message, please post it here.

• Markus Luisser

Markus Luisser - 2012-11-07

Hi Quang!

Thanks for the reply!

I tried again, downloaded a fresh copy of DocFetcher 1.1.3 portable version on Windows 7.

I copied the entire DocFetcher folder to "testfolder" and placed a working index in the "indexes" directory.

In the original DocFetcher folder I moved the DocFetcher.bat file from the misc folder one directory up into the directory that contains the DocFetcher.exe, added "set DOCFETCHER_HOME=C:\somepath\testfolder" and removed "/b" from the javaw line. The full bat file looks like this:

--------------------- %< ---------------------
    @echo off

set DOCFETCHER_HOME=C:\somepath\testfolder

set libclasspath=

for %%f in (.\lib\*.jar) do (call :append_classpath %%f)
    goto :proceed

:append_classpath
    set libclasspath=%libclasspath%;%1
    goto :eof

:proceed
    start javaw -enableassertions -Xmx256m -Xss2m -cp %libclasspath% -Djava.library.path=lib net.sourceforge.docfetcher.Main %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %

When I start DocFetcher.exe from the command line, It opens without any error message, but does not read the index from "testfolder/indexes".

When I additionally delete all dll files from the lib folder (chm4j-native, JIntellitype32 and 64, jnotify and jnotify64), I get the same result. DocFetcher starts with an error message:

program.name=DocFetcher
    program.version=1.1.3
    program.build=20120830-2317
    program.portable=true
    java.runtime.name=Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment
    java.runtime.version=1.6.0_24-b07
    java.version=1.6.0_24
    sun.arch.data.model=32
    os.arch=x86
    os.name=Windows 7
    os.version=6.1
    user.language=de
    java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no jnotify in java.library.path
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)
    at net.contentobjects.jnotify.win32.JNotify_win32.<clinit>(JNotify_win32.java:51)
    at net.contentobjects.jnotify.win32.JNotifyAdapterWin32.<init>(JNotifyAdapterWin32.java:49)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Unknown Source)
    at net.contentobjects.jnotify.JNotify.<clinit>(JNotify.java:68)
    at net.sourceforge.docfetcher.model.SimpleJNotifyListener.addWatch(SimpleJNotifyListener.java:69)
    at net.sourceforge.docfetcher.model.IndexRegistry.load(IndexRegistry.java:381)
    at net.sourceforge.docfetcher.gui.Application$6.run(Application.java:440)

There is no output on the windows console. I can close the error window and DocFetcher works but still without pointing to the index.

To check if the index itself is working, I copied it from the "testfolder" into the original DocFetcher folder which still gives me the error window but it now reads the index as expected.

It seems that the path in the DocFetcher.bat file is simply ignored - or I have a typo in there or something :/

Does that help?

Thanks!

Markus

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2012-11-07

Let's try something easier: I made some modifications to the current 1.1.3 release and uploaded it: http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/docfetcher-1.1.3-portable.zip

In this modified release, you can set the settings and indexes path in the file misc\paths.txt.

Please report back whether this works for you or not.

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2012-11-08

Note: There might be a v1.1.4 release in a week or so, which will include this modification and a couple of bugfixes.

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2012-11-12

DocFetcher 1.1.4 has been released.

On the wiki, I've summarized the basic steps to set up DocFetcher for usage over LAN: http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/wiki/doku.php?id=tips_tricks

Last edit: Nam-Quang Tran 2012-11-12
  • Cristiano Coral Riva

Hi!

Quang: about your link on wiki page --> how could I create/update the index for the network drive?

I read the next, at the wiki page:

AllowIndexCreation - set to false to prevent users from creating indexes
    AllowIndexUpdate - set to false to prevent users from updating indexes
    AllowIndexRebuild - set to false to prevent users from rebuilding indexes
    AllowIndexDeletion - set to false to prevent users from deleting indexes
    ShowAdvancedSettingsLink - set to false to hide the “Advanced Settings” link on the preferences dialog

The client will be configured. But how can I create/update the index used by the client?

Thanks for your attention!

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2013-02-07

You'll need one "master" installation of DocFetcher that uses the same indexes as the client installations, but where index creation and updating are not disabled.

Last edit: Nam-Quang Tran 2013-02-07
  • Sean Daly

Sean Daly - 2013-02-18

The problem occurs whenever you give DocFetcher a network path like
    \YourServerName\YourDocs
    Doc Fetcher changes the path to
    C:\YourServerName\YourDocs
    Therefore you get the error "File or folder not found" whenever DocFetcher tries to use that path.

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2013-02-20

@ Sean Daly
    The UNC path bug has been fixed in DocFetcher 1.1.6.

• Paul Rubin

Paul Rubin - 2013-02-22

Hi Tran, I've set up DocFetcher with the index stored on a network drive where other uses have read/write permission. However when I run DocFetcher from another computer, it doesn't load the index, even though the paths.txt properly defines the indexes variable as the same network drive location. Launching DocFetcher on another computer does not show any indexes created. How might I diagnose this issue?

• Nam-Quang Tran

Nam-Quang Tran - 2013-02-22

Can you find out where the DocFetcher instance on the other computer stores its indexes when you create a new index? For possible places to look at see the question "Where does DocFetcher put its index files? How can I change the location of the index files?" on the DocFetcher FAQ.

Is that DocFetcher instance portable or non-portable? And are you using the same DocFetcher version on both computers?

Another thing to try: Shut down both DocFetcher instances so that any unwritten content will be written to disk, then restart the second DocFetcher instance to see if it loads the indexes.

Last edit: Nam-Quang Tran 2013-02-22
  • Nam-Quang Tran

In the paths.txt file, have you properly escaped all backslashes in the paths? For a backslash, you have to enter two backslashes, and for two backslashes you need four, and so on.

Have you uncommented the path setting by removing the '#' character at the beginning of the line?

• Paul Rubin

Paul Rubin - 2013-02-22

This is odd, if I specify the path like this: indexes=\\\\qnap\\index,
    it doesn't find the directory. Instead I have to enter the
    path like this: indexes=\\qnap\index

Please advise.

Last edit: Paul Rubin 2013-02-22
  • Paul Rubin

Paul Rubin - 2013-02-22

For some reason the board is not showing all the backslashes.
    I have four then two for the first example, which doesn't work. and
    two then one backslash for the second example, which works.

• Paul Rubin

Paul Rubin - 2013-02-22

For the board, I had to edit by entering twice the number of backslashes.....

• Paul Rubin

Paul Rubin - 2013-02-22

And in any case, the problem persists, when I try to go to the exact same path on another computer, it doesn't find the index.

• Nam-Quang Tran

Works for me. Perhaps the index access from your second computer is for some reason a lot slower than from your first computer? In that case, have you tried waiting a couple of minutes to see if the index finally gets loaded?

Here's what my indexes path setting looks like:
    indexes=\\\\tran-b6a00bfd49\\unc-share\\indexes
    This is four backslashes, then two and two.

When you post on this forum, a single backslash is treated as a special character (it's part of the markdown syntax), so you have to escape it with another backslash if you want a literal backslash.

• Nam-Quang Tran

Also, what happens when you set a slightly different indexes path on the second computer and create an index there? Does the created index then get loaded immediately after restarting DocFetcher?

• Paul Rubin

Paul Rubin - 2013-02-22

Thanks Tran, I've removed all previous indexes, then set my path to \\\\qnap\\index,
    relaunced the program and I'm indexing again. I'll let you know shortly.....

• Paul Rubin

Paul Rubin - 2013-02-22

Hi Tran, I'm still seeing the same behavior. DocFetcher on a second computer does not load the index that is located on the network drive. The second computer is a Core i7 860 @ 2.8Ghz with 4 GB RAM. What can I do to diagnose this?

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)