Menu

Calibrating Grayscale on a Sony 50W829

Anonymous
2014-12-22
2014-12-27
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-12-22

I have been using dispcalGUI to success on my Dell CRT but when I try to calibrate the grayscale on my Sony 50W829 it does not look accurate and I have even tried using an online colorimeter correction file, I have used the WLED Family.ccss and I have used without. I am using an i1 Display Pro III to calibrate.

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2014-12-22

What is the problem you're seeing? Some sort of color cast?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-12-23

The grayscale looks like a light muddy red, but yet on my CRT it looks like a neutral gray.

Does the i1 Display ProIII need to use a colorimeter correction file?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-12-24

While the grayscale looks accurate on my CRT it has muddy red, brownish appearance to it on the Sony LED television.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-12-24

Do I need to use a calorimeter correction file with the i1 Display Pro III?

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2014-12-24

Do I need to use a calorimeter correction file with the i1 Display Pro III?

Yes. What type of backlight does the Sony TV have?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-12-24

It is an LED TV and I have tried using the WLED Family.ccss correction file

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2014-12-25

What other settings have you used?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-12-25

Mode LCD (generic)

Correction: Spectral WLED AC LG Samsung <WLED Family_07Feb11.ccss="">

I have also tried looking online for a Sony LED correction file

Interactive Display Adjustment
    Whitepoint 6500K Reference Daylight
    Whitlevel As Measured
    Tone Curve Rec.709
    Calibration Speed Low

One thing that I did notice when I tried adjusting at IRE 30 If I tried to lower blue it would actually increase on the dispcal GUI measurement scale and red and green would increase as well as though there was some compatibility problem with the meter and the display.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-12-27

I am not sure if this is a bug in dispcal GUI but if I select refresh mode for my CRT and then select a colour correction file for the CRT the mode changes back to LCD (generic). I can not select the CRT correction file while staying in Refresh mode for the CRT.

A little off topic here for the Sony LED issue.

• Florian Hoech

Florian Hoech - 2014-12-27

Not a bug. When selecting a correction, the associated measurement mode is chosen automatically. If you change the measurement mode, the correction is no longer valid and thus automatically set to none. Older correction files may not contain measurement mode information, in that case it falls back to default. You can edit the correction file with a text editor and add the following two lines after the first line if you are sure refresh mode is appropriate:

KEYWORD "DISPLAY_TYPE_REFRESH"
      DISPLAY_TYPE_REFRESH "YES"

• Derek

Derek - 2014-12-27

Is refresh mode not the correct mode for a CRT?