DWT coefficient coding

Developers
myo
2005-10-28
2013-06-04
  • myo

myo - 2005-10-28

Dear Dirac Developers,

Do you have any plan to use DWT coefficients coding to achieve efficient compression by using any kind of compression algorithms such as EZW, ZTE, SPIHT...etc. ? If so, which algorithm do you intend to use. Let me know. I believe that there is no such algorithm in current version of DIRAC according to the specification 0.9.

• Thomas Davies

Thomas Davies - 2005-10-28

We don't intend to use any zerotree wavelet coding algorithms. Firstly, they're heavily patented. Secondly, they don't work that well for motion-compensated difference pictures. And thirdly, it's not so easy to apply perceptual weighting.

Thomas

• myo

myo - 2005-11-01

Thank for your reply. Basically, I am doing Error Resilient coding for DIRAC. One thing I still wish to know is how often do the encoder restart the I frame coding in motion estimation and compensation ? I mean the distance between the first and second I frame in term of the number of frame.

• Thomas Davies

Thomas Davies - 2005-11-02

The frequency of I frames is up to you. If you use the default settings then for -stream they're every 36 frames; for -SD576 they're every 12 frames; for -HD720 they're every 24 frames; and for -HD1080 they're every 12 frames.

In general, the length of the GOP is (num_L1+1)*L1_sep. L1 frames are like P frames in MPEG, and num_L1 is the number between I frames, and L1_sep is the number of frames from one L1 frame to the next.

So if you set

-num_L1 0

you'd get I frame only coding, overriding any presets. If you set

-num_L1 99 -L1_sep 5

then there would be 500 frames from one I frame to the next.

cheers

Thomas

• Thomas Davies

Thomas Davies - 2005-11-03

Are you intending to post your code somewhere?

Thomas

• myo

myo - 2005-11-03

Thank for your information. No, I am not intending to post the code anywhere. Once completed, I will post directly to BBC R&D. Currently, we are in the process of developing the ideas for Error Resilient Coding and hoping to submit the report about this probably within next week.

Regards,

MYO TUN