Menu

MS Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit with Dev-C++

2004-09-20
2012-09-26
  • cryptologic

cryptologic - 2004-09-20

I'm new to programming (I'm a noob trying to learn) and have been using Dev-C++ happily. I had an old student copy of MS Visual C++, but programs made with it can't be distributed. I recently came across the MS Visual C++ 2003 toolkit, which is strictly command line  (no IDE) and doesn't have the distrubtion restrictions that the student version of MS Visual C++ IDE does. So, here's my questions (thought I'd never get there huh?): Instead of using the GNU compiler/linker can I use the Visual C++ 2003 one instead? Does the Dev-C++ IDE care which compiler it uses as long as you tell it where to look for the compiler?

TIA,
    Cryptologic

PS- Go to http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/ for info/download of the toolkit if you are interested.
    PSS - I don't like Micro$oft, but realize it is something I must deal with. Otherwise, I'd opensource it all the way.

• aditsu

aditsu - 2004-09-20

> Does the Dev-C++ IDE care which compiler it uses

well, it actually cares, not necessarily about the compiler but about the way of invoking the corresponding tools and communicating with them, particularly the command-line options
      practically, Dev-C++ was only designed to work with gcc (any flavor)

if you want to use Visual C++, you could buy the Standard version, it is fairly affordable (about US$100)
      I don't know if there's a free IDE for the toolkit

Adrian

• Nobody/Anonymous

this question has been asked before, it's not possible to use Dev-C++ with the mentioned toolkit.
      Try a forum search for more infos.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Are there any plans to make it possible? It seems like many problems people have been having with Dev-C++ could be solved by adding support for the Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit.

• Nobody/Anonymous

why do you have to use ms stuff?

aside from the question i have a suggestion. learn to use make then you can use dev to do editing and stuff. everything except the final linking. make does not care what you do with it.

if you was not new to programming i would say make a front end to cl that mimics gcc but that would be rater difficult.

if you just need, or rather want, syntax highlighting and project management stuff i highly suggest scite and its project manager. they are nearly limitlessly customizable and can work with the toolkit easily enough.

obag

• Mats

Mats - 2004-09-21

This worked for me.
      Go in to Tools and Compiler Options and set up a new compiler, linker and so on. Don't forget the new PATH.
      Go to project options and choose your new compiler.
      The last step is to choose a custom makefile under Makefile, you will have to write your own makefile.
      The problem is that you lose the ease of use that comes with using the default compiler. You can't set options in the same way, have to write this manually in the makefile.

• cryptologic

cryptologic - 2004-09-22

I'll give that a shot and see how things go.