Menu

Feature Request: --list tag and --list-hosts

Help
Anthony
2015-10-29
2015-11-15
  • Anthony

Anthony - 2015-10-29

I often try to intergrate things, and would like to see a --list-hosts option.

The --list option will list what host tags have been defined by cssh. This is very useful, though it could do without
    "Available cluster tags:" title, which had to be deleted in scripts making use of this option.

EG currently: cssh --list | grep -v ':'

The --list option with a --debug 4 also lets what hosts are defined for each tag, but with a lot of other junk.

I'd like a --list-tag that expands a specific tag into the defined list of hosts commng from both the clusters and tags configuration files.

I would also like to see the addition of --list-host <host>|<tag>... that will simply list what hosts cssh would attempt to open giving the same argument list. This can be used to get a list of hosts, for example to distribute a file or script too, before running cssh, either as normal, or to execute the distributed script.

ASIDE: the GNU "parallel" command can do something simular, but as a batch, but not as a interactive session.
    I have used it for this purpose but is not simple to figure how to use parallel in this way.

• Duncan Ferguson

Duncan Ferguson - 2015-11-15

Anthony,
      I can see it may be useful to add a '--quiet' or '-q' option to suppress extra messages, to to list all external clusters you could use
      cssh -q -Lcssh --quiet --list

However, what do you see as the difference between --list-host and --list-tags - I think it may be more useful to allow '--list' to accept an arg of the tag to expand, so the option becomes dual function
      $ cssh -q -Ltagname1tagname2tagbname3
      $ cssh -q -L tagname2host1host2host3
      Would this meet your needs?
      My intention is to include a 'csftp' or 'cscp' command at some point to aid with copying files around, but I haven't got that far yet.

Duncs

On Thursday, 29 October 2015, 5:55, Anthony <athyssen@users.sf.net> wrote:

I often try to intergrate things, and would like to see a --list-hosts option.The --list option will list what host tags have been defined by cssh. This is very useful, though it could do without
      "Available cluster tags:" title, which had to be deleted in scripts making use of this option.EG currently: cssh --list | grep -v ':'The --list option with a --debug 4 also lets what hosts are defined for each tag, but with a lot of other junk.I'd like a --list-tag that expands a specific tag into the defined list of hosts commng from both the clusters and tags configuration files.I would also like to see the addition of --list-host <host>|<tag>... that will simply list what hosts cssh would attempt to open giving the same argument list. This can be used to get a list of hosts, for example to distribute a file or script too, before running cssh, either as normal, or to execute the distributed script.ASIDE: the GNU "parallel" command can do something simular, but as a batch, but not as a interactive session.
      I have used it for this purpose but is not simple to figure how to use parallel in this way.Feature Request: --list tag and --list-hostsSent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/clusterssh/discussion/306666/To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Duncan Ferguson

Duncan Ferguson - 2015-11-15

Unfortunately my mail clinet munged that output.
        I have pushed some commits to the git repo - please check out this verion.
        cssh -L

outputs list of tags
        cssh -L -Q
        outputs list of tags on one line with no 'headers'
        cssh -L tag
        outputs hosts associated with that tag
        cssh -L tag -Q
        outputs hosts on one line with no 'header'
          Duncs

On Sunday, 15 November 2015, 21:51, Duncan Ferguson <duncan_ferguson@users.sf.net> wrote:

Anthony,
        I can see it may be useful to add a '--quiet' or '-q' option to suppress extra messages, to to list all external clusters you could use
        cssh -q -Lcssh --quiet --listHowever, what do you see as the difference between --list-host and --list-tags - I think it may be more useful to allow '--list' to accept an arg of the tag to expand, so the option becomes dual function
        $ cssh -q -Ltagname1tagname2tagbname3
        $ cssh -q -L tagname2host1host2host3
        Would this meet your needs?
        My intention is to include a 'csftp' or 'cscp' command at some point to aid with copying files around, but I haven't got that far yet.Duncs On Thursday, 29 October 2015, 5:55, Anthony athyssen@users.sf.net wrote:
        I often try to intergrate things, and would like to see a --list-hosts option.The --list option will list what host tags have been defined by cssh. This is very useful, though it could do without
        "Available cluster tags:" title, which had to be deleted in scripts making use of this option.EG currently: cssh --list | grep -v ':'The --list option with a --debug 4 also lets what hosts are defined for each tag, but with a lot of other junk.I'd like a --list-tag that expands a specific tag into the defined list of hosts commng from both the clusters and tags configuration files.I would also like to see the addition of --list-host <host>|<tag>... that will simply list what hosts cssh would attempt to open giving the same argument list. This can be used to get a list of hosts, for example to distribute a file or script too, before running cssh, either as normal, or to execute the distributed script.ASIDE: the GNU "parallel" command can do something simular, but as a batch, but not as a interactive session.
        I have used it for this purpose but is not simple to figure how to use parallel in this way.Feature Request: --list tag and --list-hostsSent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/clusterssh/discussion/306666/To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/Feature Request: --list tag and --list-hostsSent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/clusterssh/discussion/306666/To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/