Menu

How to pin programs to start menu?

Help
gagmani
2013-01-03
2018-05-15
  • gagmani

gagmani - 2013-01-03

First of all I want to thank Classic Shell developers for making this open source tool for Windows XP start menu lovers.I am on Windows 7 64-bit.The problem I am facing is that I am unable to pin programs to start menu like I used to do on Default start menu.I am using Windows 7 start menu theme.The area on the left side is always vacant.I don't like recently used programs list so I disabled it.Also I want to look start menu exactly like it was before.I want the user picture placed on top of start menu like it is in original win7 start menu.I have three user account on my laptop and I don't want my pinned programs list on other users' start menu.I want a user specific solution than a system wide change.Thank you in advance.

Last edit: gagmani 2013-01-03
  • Ivo Beltchev

Ivo Beltchev - 2013-01-03

Drag programs to the white area and they will be "pinned". Well, not really. They will be copied to the per-user Start Menu folder.

At the moment there is no way to move the user image there.

• gagmani

gagmani - 2013-01-04

Thanks,it works the way it should,though the under the hood technique is different.I think user image should stay where it is,as it helps to distinguish it from original start menu.I don't like taskbar pinned programs or desktop shortcuts.You saved me hassles of exiting the classic shell every time.Now I can remove the exit option from start button.Thank you very much.Can you please tell me the exact locations of shortcuts in both techniques.Just curious why start menu pinned locations not read by classic shell.

Last edit: gagmani 2013-01-04
  • XP7User

XP7User - 2013-01-05

You mean the Windows Start Menu pined items?
    That would be in:
    %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\StartMenu

BTW, would it be at all possible to have an option to change the location of Classic Shell programs, and add an option put the Start Menu folder in 'All Programs' like in XP? I mean like this:
    http://www.guidebookgallery.org/pics/gui/system/managers/applicationmanager/winxppro-1-2.png
    Thanks!

• slack1280

slack1280 - 2018-05-15

Pin a batch file to the Start menu or taskbar in Windows 10 . . . https://winaero.com/blog/pin-a-batch-file-to-the-start-menu-or-taskbar-in-windows-10/

Right click on the Desktop / New / Shortcut
    Browse to the .bat file / Select it
    In the shortcut target, modify it as follows: cmd /c "full path to your batch file"
    Rename the shortcut
    Change the icon
    Right-click / Run / Minimized
    Right-click / Pin to taskbar . . . No - this is not necessary, and, does not Pin it
    . . . Instead, drag it to the Taskbar, and delete it from your Desktop
    . . . Right-click to un-Pin it