Work at SourceForge, help us to make it a better place! We have an immediate need for a Support Technician in our San Francisco or Denver office.

Close

Cavendish vs. Cavendish-MW

Help
Anonymous
2011-08-04
2012-07-13

• Anonymous
    2011-08-04

First and foremost, let me say good on you for fixing all the issues with the cavendish skin.

On a related note, unfortunately our company found your version too late. Our current wiki uses a modified version of the cavendish skin, but a lot of problems have arrived from this. Many of our extensions simply do not work.

So my question is.. do you recall what needs to be changed in order to make these things work? (I.e. is it something simple that will make all these things work) or is the issue larger than this?

If at all possible, we'd like to salvage what we currently have and not start from scratch again. Any help on this would be appreciated!

-RKW

• My apologies for the late reply. I expected to receive an email if a post needed moderation; but I didn't.

Unfortunately I used version control at a later stage, so I can't get the exact changes I made to the skin in order to fix the issues. However, I do recall globally the changes I made.

1) The very first fix I included was to fix the edit toolbar and several other Javascript issues. This fix was a very simple one. Just add the following line to cavendish.php:

<?php print Skin::makeGlobalVariablesScript( $this->data ); ?>

I got this fix from here.

2) Then I started working on the layout by editing the stylesheets. For example, the page buttons (Edit, Discussion, Page, ...) did not display correctly. Besides that I made many other improvements to the stylesheets. You can check the stylesheets of Cavendish-MW for clues.

3) At a later stage I had to completely rewrite the skin file cavendish.php in order to make it compatible with the latest MediaWiki. I believe I used MySkin.php as a template, then one by one started applying the Cavendish specific changes.

Oh, and there's the changelog I kept. All of the initial changes I made are described briefly. Head over to my wiki for the changelog.

• freakquency
    freakquency
    2012-01-25

Hello,

First, let me thank you for the skin. It is well layed out and we appreciate it :)

I'm experiencing 2 "little" problems:

Although I added the line "<?php print Skin::makeGlobalVariablesScript( $this->data ); ?>" to cavendish.php, the toolbar does not appears when we want to edit. Based on the link in your post, It should be before "<?php if($this->data['jsvarurl' ]) { ?><script type="text/javascript" src="&lt;?php $this-&gt;text('jsvarurl' ) ?&gt;" &gt;<="" script=""><?php } ?>" but I dont have that in my page. Is there another fix?

Also, the other problem I have is the class="wikitable sortable" has no effect on my tables, although it works using any other standard skin. Am I the only one having this issue?

Thanks for helping us! :)

• It should be before "<?php if($this->data'jsvarurl' ) { ?>>><?php } ?>" but I dont have that in my page. Is there another fix?

That line should be in the file of the original Cavendish skin. This fix worked just fine for MW up to 1.16 (maybe also 1.17, can't remember). But this fix no longer works with MW 1.18. Unfortunately I don't know another fix. I plan to rewrite the skin for MediaWiki 1.18 to fix all these problems, but right now I just don't have the time to do that.

Also, the other problem I have is the class="wikitable sortable" has no effect on my tables, although it works using any other standard skin.

I never used sortable tables before, but I notice the same problem here. I noticed that Cavendish-MW doesn't load the required Javascript for this to work (wikibits). The Vector skin uses load.php to load the required Javascripts, which includes wikibits. Cavendish-MW doesn't do this. However I don't know how the Vector skin loads these Javascripts. At this moment I don't have the time to figure this out.

Sorry I can't be of much help right now.

• Cavendish-MW 0.2 was just released which fixes the above problems.