Menu

Mount HFS / MacOS partition via eSATA?

2009-08-29
2015-02-02
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi, is there any way to mount a Mac HFS+ Journaled partition via eSATA? I have a client's Dell laptop running Vista SP2, and I'm trying to mount my Seagate (ST3500320AS) 500GB drive in a MacAlly G-S350-SU USB2.0 + eSATA3.0 enclosure. I'm not sure how to specify which device, partition, or bus this drive is on, however I can easily find that info in Computer Management / Disk Management / "Properties" in Vista. The drive is logically "seen" by Windows, but HFS Explorer doesn't auto-detect the mount point. Any ideas? Thanks.

• Erik Larsson

Erik Larsson - 2009-08-31

The connection doesn't matter (eSATA / USB / IEEE1394 / ...) as long as Windows can access the drive (i.e. make sure your your Windows drivers work well, and HFSExplorer will work equally well).

When you attempt to autodetect HFS file systems, does any output show up in the Debug console (File->Debug console)? Does Linux Live-CDs recognize and read this drive properly?

Last edit: Erik Larsson 2015-02-02
      • Bert Daggerman

Bert Daggerman - 2015-02-01

This is an old old thread. But I have the same issue. Autodetect can see the HFS+ partition on my external RAID box, but only when I use the USB connection to the box. The eSATA connection works for Windows, which sees an NTFS partition on the RAID box, but HFSExplorer doesn't see the HFS+ partitions there when the box is connected via eSATA.

Windows Disk Management sees the (HFS+) partitions, but doesn't know what they are (File System is blank). The Debug console in HFSExplorer only shows an error because I have a virtual CD drive; nothing related to eSATA.

I tried a bunch of device names from Winobj. No joy. So far, the only way to get around it is to switch to USB.

Thoughts?

• Erik Larsson

Erik Larsson - 2015-02-02

Hi,

Could you list the the devices that WinObj sees?