Menu

Kos and ia32 support

kergiomar
2007-04-16
2013-04-10
  • kergiomar

kergiomar - 2007-04-16

Hello,

Im a newbie developer on the dreamcast scene... These days im having some time to return to a game i was developing some time ago in Dx9/windows (with the funny idea to port to the dreamcast scene)... The codename is U3D, and of course, its a 3d shmup...

I have been following for some time the development of the Kos and i think it matches with the development i currently have in mind, the basic engine part is perfectly compatible with and open source environment (developed in C++ and STL, pointer management, cooperative multitasker, and such ), about the 3D engine, its developed on DX9 (for now) but i would like to make it SDL and OpenGL friendly...

I have messing with the DDEr3 developer kit which support Kos (1.3 svn 385) under cygwin, and i could generate some elf binaries (I have the DC/coders cable but my laptop lacks of serial ports! :( ). But i was more interested on the IA32 part and the possibility to test the executables on windows... But i realized that this part have been disable on this build, and i didnt manage to recompile it a bit even with the latest svn build :(,... And there isnt any docs apart from the basic configuration to understand it...

Please, could anyone give me some support? , for some time i have been trying to develop on the GP32 and i had the same problems about debugging...

Regards,

• 3yE

3yE - 2009-09-09

Are you still there?

I don't think KallistiOS is of any help on a PC. It's a bare metal middleware, you would not run it under Windows. Nor do you really have any OpenGL support there, just a fake one for Dreamcast which is barely good enough to display a textured cube, but already not good enough to display a lit textured cube. It's not anywhere near fast either - the old PVR codebase it was based on was good for only a few thousand polys per frame.

Good luck with your project though. How far along were you with it?

• kergiomar

kergiomar - 2009-09-10

Hi there!

Yeah sometime ago i realized about it! Now it even sees like a very newbie question :)

Well, during the past four years i have worked on the project from time to time, but first im trying to develop the game in windows and polish as much as possible before thinking about any kind of port or anything...

I uploaded my old "tech demo" at https://sourceforge.net/projects/uthreed/ if you are interested on seeing the idea, but i dropped all the old code and restarted again... For now i am developing using the game framework developed by the people of "Game Coding Complete" as basis for the engine (Windows, Directx, Lua,) , and these days i have been messing with the bullet physics to customize the collision system...

Anyway, thanks for your reply

Regards

@B^)>