Menu

Invalid Command Name "gui"

Help
2005-04-22
2013-04-22
  • Scott Leighton

Scott Leighton - 2005-04-22

Had this working on SuSE 9.2, but now that I've upgraded to 9.3, brlcad is broken. I recompiled it, but that didn't help. Whenever I try to start mged, I'm getting the invalid command name "gui" message.

helphand@helphand:~/brlcad> mged
    Backgrounding, please wait...
    invalid command name "gui"

Where can I look for the problem?

Scott

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-04-22

That invalid command name gui message occurs when BRL-CAD cannot locate it's own tclscripts.  The usual cause for this is that you have the BRLCAD_ROOT environment variable set incorrectly.

unset BRLCAD_ROOT

Try unsetting the BRLCAD_ROOT environment variable first.  It's no longer necessary if you've done a clean (unmoved) install.

• Scott Leighton

Scott Leighton - 2005-04-23

Thanks, that was the clue I needed. unsetting BRLCAD_ROOT still caused it to fail, but a different failure. Originally it was set to /usr/brlcad/bin, which caused the gui error.

Unsetting it causes...
        This version of LIBBU was compiled to expect BRL-CAD in:
                NONE
        but it is no longer there.
          After you manually locate BRL-CAD,

So, I played around and finally figured out the BRLCAD_ROOT has to be set to /usr/brlcad and then it all works.

Scott

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-04-23

Ah, yes.  That is also a configuration bug in 7.0 that would cause mged to not know where it was going to be installed if you didn't profide the --prefix option to configure.  The problem would also have gone away (meaning you wouldn't need to set BRLCAD_ROOT) if you had run ./configure --prefix=/usr/brlcad before compiling.  It has since been fixed in cvs.  Glad to hear you got it working, regardless.. ;)

• Nobody/Anonymous

I'm using Fedora Core 3, and I'm still not able to get past this message.  I'd tried installing at work on a Red Hat derivative without success, so I was very careful to follow the direction closely when I got home.   I made certain that the -prefix=/usr/brlcad option to configure was set before compiling.  I've set BRLCAD_ROOT to several different values.  Still no success.

Is it a Red Hat thing?

• Sean Morrison

Sean Morrison - 2005-06-21

If you're using 7.2.x, then you don't need to use the --prefix option and you should not set BRLCAD_ROOT.  It's not a Red Hat thing, but it could be a version problem.  Make sure you're using the latest posted version (7.2.6+).

If you log in to the #brlcad irc channel on irc.freenode.net, someone should be able to help you through the install process interactively.  (http://irc.brlcad.org is a simplified web-based irc interface, but a real irc client is recommended)