how to compile

Help
Hinnack
2006-09-06
2013-04-17
  • Hinnack

Hinnack - 2006-09-06

without MSVC 6?

it seems, you can not even download it as a msdn user from  MS$...

Any other working version? or other c compiler?

regards

Hinnack

• Rob Allen

Rob Allen - 2006-09-06

Hi,

It no longer compiles with VC6. I may have forgotten to update the notes though... Nowadays, it uses VS2005. If you don't have that, it'll *probably* compile with VC++ 2005 Express.

Alternatively, there are SCons build files for compiling with MinGW 3.4.x.

Rob

• Hinnack

Hinnack - 2006-09-06

thanks,

VS2005 is ok.

Hinnack

• Rob Allen

Rob Allen - 2006-09-06

Oh btw, there are a number of known bugs on the latest (and mainline) in Subversion. I haven't been as diligent at checking in as I should have been...

Rob

• Hinnack

Hinnack - 2006-09-06

Ok,

can you mail me your version? or how do I get the latest?

Hinnack

• Rob Allen

Rob Allen - 2006-09-06

If you want to pick up the bug fixes, I'm afraid you'll have to wait until the code is back in a working state so I can checkin.

If you're really desperate, there's a patch for the files PopClient.cpp and PopClient.h (in the HttpMailProxy project) at http://bhttpmail.sourceforge.net/downloads/PopClientPatch.zip (which should improve matters, although no guarantees it's complete).

• Rob Allen

Rob Allen - 2006-09-06

Do you mind me asking why you're compiling it from scratch? Just idle curiosity...

• Hinnack

Hinnack - 2006-09-06

long time ago we build a groupware on our own. this one uses httpmail for outlook connectivity. So the reason why I want to recompile is to put our servers into the list of hosts...

I asked for an option in the config file for this, but it did not make it (yet) into the source...

Hinnack

• Rob Allen

Rob Allen - 2006-09-06

Yeah, of course. I remember your request.

What sort of deployment are you considering? Obviously, it's possible to run this as a genuine multi-user server and it's able to field requests from multiple clients at once (provided they have different mailboxes). However, I'm not sure how scalable it is. In particular, processor usage is very high for even a single client while parsing server responses, and I don't know how the memory usage will scale to many clients.

It's also worth mentioning that there are threading issues in the IMAP implementation. The POP implementation is known to scale badly in particular situations (e.g. large emails tend to cause timeouts in the mail client - during testing, I had to increase the timeout on Thundbird to 4 minutes). Also, I suspect there are some memory corruption bugs in there somewhere, which will cause Windows to kill the program altogether, which may not be ideal when deploying it in a multi-user environment...

But hey, this is alpha software :)

In short, if you're thinking of deploying this software seriously, it may be worth waiting for more bugfixing to happen...

• Hinnack

Hinnack - 2006-09-06

this will only be for a few people, that are screaming for POP3/IMAP for their blackberry...
            ( about 10 people only...)

but thanks for pointing that out...

Hinnack

• Rob Allen

Rob Allen - 2006-09-06

Cool :) Let me know if it works out.

Rob

• Hinnack

Hinnack - 2006-09-06

I will do so -
                and where do I get the latest source-code now?

Hinnack

• Rob Allen

Rob Allen - 2006-09-06

Get the latest revision from the trunk in Subversion. Then apply the patch I posted before. That should be everything you'll need to compile.

You'll need to change Mailbox.cpp in the HttpMail project to add new servers, but it should be more or less a single line change. (There's a big list of supported domains and their corresponding HTTPMail URLs.)

Rob