Error loading file: (assimp:) std::bad_alloc

Help
Francesco
2014-06-03
2014-07-25
  • Francesco

Francesco - 2014-06-03

Hi guys,

I am moving the first steps with the assimp library in the Qt 5.3 environment (and with 3D stuff in general). What I need to do is to load the CAD model of a robot and animate it (from simple rotations to display robot's attitude, to moving some joints in a robotic arm).

Following this tutorial I was able to correctly load .obj files downloaded from the web.

I have then tried with my models: starting from a Solid Works model (.SLDASM) I exported in .STL, and then with MeshLab in .obj.

The program works fine when dealing with a simple model (few parts), but when I try to load a more complex one (a whole robot, with lot of parts) I get this error:

Using OpenGL 3.3 context
    Error loading file: (assimp:) std::bad_alloc

I imagine this is related to memory (maybe the model is too big?).

What I would like to ask you is: any idea on how can I solve this?
    Any suggestion? I guess simplifying the model could be an option, but maybe I can avoid this, so I am asking you.

Thank you very much guys

Cheers

• Francesco

Francesco - 2014-06-03

Ok guys I was able to solve the problem by simplifying the mesh using MeshLab. I loose a little bit of quality but it's fine for my purposes.

Thanks,
    Francesco

• Kim Kulling

Kim Kulling - 2014-07-25

I guess we have to really big memory footprint in asset importer library. I saw this as well.

Kimmi