voting for those. Even if a single name gets a majority in the third
    round there will be a final round to allow people who haven't voted yet
    to have a say. We'll then tabulate the results and announce them on
    August 10th.

thank you
    The devel team

• Manuel Naranjo

Manuel Naranjo - 2007-08-07

There's a last minute addition: OSPos is one of the names you can choose.

• Manuel Naranjo

My vote goes for POSeidon a really cool name :D

• craigbass76

craigbass76 - 2007-08-07

I want to vote for OSPOS

• Jamie Campbell

Jamie Campbell - 2007-08-07

My vote : POSper

-Jamie

• Aaron Luchko

Aaron Luchko - 2007-08-07

My two favourites are POSeidon and POSper. With POSper I've done a fairly extensive google search and am pretty sure that it's a unique name. With POSeidon there are two possible matches http://www.bestsoftware4download.com/download/t-free-poseidon-media-converter-download-jnwenpis.html (some media converter thing) and http://www.gentleware.com/products.html (a UML converter)

I think we're in the clear as neither program really has anything to do with POS systems. As well Poseidon is clearly a pre-existing word. However there's also some arbitrary association issues and the Poseidon company also sells eclipse plug-ins which indicates they associate somewhat with the open source community. At the end of the day it really depends on whether they're lawsuit happy, even if we are in the clear they may just decide to sue anyways (maybe they'll be unhappy if we start hurting them in google rankings).

I do think the probability of a dispute coming is very low but I was already about 50-50 between the names so this issue gives POSper the edge for me and thus I'm going to vote for POSper.

One thing I'm curious about is the pronunciation of POSper, I've been pronounciating it with a soft O (as in prOsper) though it could also be conceivably be pronounced as a hard O as in pOsition.

• FerdinanRamses

FerdinanRamses - 2007-08-07

Mi voto es para POSper

• Manuel Naranjo

Ok gracias, lo traduzco para quienes no hablan inglés.

He says he's vote goes for POSper

Partial voting is:
        POSper     +3
        POSeidon   +1
        OSPos      +1

• FooBar

FooBar - 2007-08-08

I know I'm late, but but if my vote will count, I'd definitely choose OSPos!
      Thank!
      Markus

• Aaron Luchko

Aaron Luchko - 2007-08-08

The third round of voting in completed and these are the results:

POSper: 3 votes
      OSPOS: 2 votes
      POSeidon: 1 vote

These three choices will be the choices for the final round. Note that so people don't have to vote again votes from the third round will still be counted in the final round. However, if you wish to change your vote you may do so. I think it should be noted that OSPOS is a very risky choice since there's already a POS system with that uses the same acronym Open Systems Point of Sale (http://www.futurenet.com.au/hardware/hardware.html) and we risk putting ourselves in the same trademark situation that forced TinaPOS to change its name.

• Manuel Naranjo

Manuel Naranjo - 2007-08-09

I want to change my vote, sorry god of sea but.... My vote goes for POSper I'm starting to like it, but it would sound much better if called PrOSper but in that case what's the r supposed to mean? Anyway I'm with POSper.

One last thing, In case OSPos win we can get into really serious legal issues, when I told Craig I was gonna support his proposal I didn't had into account the existence of Open System POS, anyway the name doesn't seem to be trademarked, in the case OSPos is the chosen one we will have to get in touch with those guys and see if there's any legal issue with it.

Manuel

• Aaron Luchko

Aaron Luchko - 2007-08-09

"My vote goes for POSper I'm starting to like it, but it would sound much better if called PrOSper but in that case what's the r supposed to mean? Anyway I'm with POSper."

Part of the reason I like POSper is because the only google hits are typos so it's pretty easy to ensure that we aren't going to hit any trademark issues :)

• FooBar

FooBar - 2007-08-09

I understand that there could be problems with OSPos, but if there would be a way to avoid these problems, I still vote for it!

• Stefano Marelli

Stefano Marelli - 2007-08-11

This is my Idea:

JSA - Java Store Appplication

Why not?

Regards