SourceForge.net Donation System
Open Source software developers and projects are well-known for providing their source code and applications free-of-charge. These teams and individuals rely on donations to help offset development costs, hardware purchases, and other expenses (like travel to conferences) in support of ongoing development of the software.
Fees charged by PayPal also apply to donations received. These fees are detailed on the PayPal site. Please refer to this from your PayPal account to verify the current fees.
Users may opt-in to the Donation System through the Donation Management page.
Projects may opt-in to the Donation System as follows:
- Login as a project administrator and click on the Project Admin > Project Settings menu and select the Donations link.
- Enter the PayPal account information where the donations will be sent.
- To help avoid strife within a project team, we require each project admin opt-in before donations can be accepted on the project. Contact each project administrator and have them confirm the opt-in (on this same page); you may also track the opt-in status of each project admin from this page.
SourceForge displays a PayPal badge on donations verified by PayPal's Instant Payment Notification (IPN) system. Recipients must enable IPN in their PayPal accounts:
NOTE: IPN is only available for Business and Premier accounts. Personal accounts are not supported.
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click Profile at the top of the page.
- Click the Instant Payment Notification Preferences link in the Selling Preferences column.
- Click Edit.
- Check the box and enter any valid URL - we will override it with the correct value at donation time.
- Click Save.