This project includes two parts, kernel and userspace. The in-kernel code contains the IEEE 802.15.4 implementation, while the userspace part performs network configuration.
The kernel part of this implementation is in the mainline kernel . Patches for new functionality are taken though David Miller's net-next tree, so net-next will commonly have the most up-to-date code.
Before the core components were merged into mainline, the code lived in a git repository at SourceForge (GitWeb) ( git://linux-zigbee.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/linux-zigbee/kernel ). This implementation is now considered legacy, and exists only for historical interest. It also contains some drivers which are not part of the mainline kernel. If you are interested in getting one or more of these drivers mainlined, please contact the mailing list.
The userspace tools include the following components:
- iz - controls wpan device parameters over netlink; does scanning, association/disassociation, etc.
- izattach - associates PHY-level device with serial port to work with a device implementing the Serial protocol (Serial driver is not in mainline the kernel)
- izcoordinator - IEEE 802.15.4 coordinator, it allocates and manages short address database
Also, the following additional tools are supported:
- izchat - allows transfer of text messages between nodes
- libpcap - packet capture library (IEEE 802.15.4 supported since version 1.1.2)
- tcpdump - packet capture command-line tool (IEEE 802.15.4 supported since version 4.2)
- wireshark - with a patch to use "-nofcs" dissector for IEEE802.15.4 and additional dissector for ZigBee