3. Support
  4. Report Spam
  5. Create account
  6. Log in

final spurt

Talk about ideas and the code.

final spurt

Postby erin10 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:52 am

Ok, I'm behind schedule. 5 weeks ill (broken leg) and 2 weeks of vacation. But now I'm going to start the last works on the rewrite.
erin10

Re: final spurt

Postby cpicon92 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:20 pm

First and foremost, sorry to hear about your leg. How did you break it? And secondly, good luck with the rewrite, it really seems to be the last hope for this project.
cpicon92
Site Admin

Postby erin10 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:51 am

irst and foremost, sorry to hear about your leg. How did you break it?

Thank you, it was a silly accident. Hiking on a steep way with sandals! Last week my wife pushed me into a shoe shop and we bought two pairs of sturdy walking shoes. Good equipment for crossing the Bunny Hills. ;)

I was quite busy last days, the program seems to be ready (not really ready but on a state that can be compared with current ETR). A final walk through the code, line by line, trying to compile the oevre on windows and at last trying to learn something about SVN. And then? Bugfixing, some new courses (suitable for cups and events), new team of developers, documentation etc. etc.
erin10

Postby cpicon92 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:50 am

Sounds like a plan. I'm currently taking programming at my university, I plan on contributing to the code as soon as I reach an adequate level of competence.
On a side note: did we ever decide if the new ETR should be able to load/convert the old contributed courses? 5 years ago there would have been significant demand for this. Now I'm not so sure.
cpicon92
Site Admin

Postby erin10 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:18 am

I'm currently taking programming at my university, I plan on contributing to the code as soon as I reach an adequate level of competence.

What shall I say: nice ... wonderful ... excellent ...
At the beginning you will learn programming in little steps (starting with stuff like "hello world" ;) ), but soon you will look for larger subjects. Believe me, Tuxracer is a wonderful subject for learning, with a lot of different problem definitions. Would it be possible to find some friends at university who are ready to take part in? And what about your prof? Remember that the authors of first Tuxracer (Patry and friends) were students. I suppose that Tuxracer was mainly a learning project, supported by the professor. After leaving the university the program became a coherent and at last a commercial project.

On a side note: did we ever decide if the new ETR should be able to load/convert the old contributed courses? 5 years ago there would have been significant demand for this. Now I'm not so sure.

All courses for Tuxracer 0.61 or ETR can be converted in a simple way. The pics must be converted from RGB to PNG, no problem with Gimp. And the course.tcl must be converted to course.dim (with any texteditor that is done in 2 or 3 minutes). Although the new code prefers an items.lst instead of trees.png, the trees.png can be read furthermore. In this case the program generates an items list and stores it.

BTW: I've downloaded almost all courses from http://tuxracer.fubaby.com. Many courses are bullshit, but there are a lot of courses, too, which should be converted. Since most courses are GPL, we could edit them (better terrains, reasonable amount of herrings etc.) In my opinion, it's not good to put all courses in a data archive. We should bundle some additional course packages.

And the website! In the case that the other code will be accepted, we should delete the content of the current site, except the old forum, and frame a new site. Readers must see that something has happened and will happen in the future.
erin10

Postby cpicon92 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:24 am

erin10 wrote: Would it be possible to find some friends at university who are ready to take part in?

I currently haven't made any friends in my programming course, but it's definitely a possibility for the future.

BTW: I've downloaded almost all courses from http://tuxracer.fubaby.com. Many courses are bullshit, but there are a lot of courses, too, which should be converted. Since most courses are GPL, we could edit them (better terrains, reasonable amount of herrings etc.) In my opinion, it's not good to put all courses in a data archive. We should bundle some additional course packages.

As soon as there is an easy way to edit the courses, course beautification will be par for the course. It would be useful to have some specialized tools for doing this i.e. a program to lay down trees randomly and realistically. But this can come later.

And the website! In the case that the other code will be accepted, we should delete the content of the current site, except the old forum, and frame a new site. Readers must see that something has happened and will happen in the future.

While slythfox doesn't seem to be very active, I have improved in html immensely in the past few years, and with the help of arith, whom I talk to outside the forums, we should be able to clear the site off and make it obvious that we've (you've) actually been doing something.
cpicon92
Site Admin

Postby erin10 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:03 am

I currently haven't made any friends in my programming course, but it's definitely a possibility for the future.

Programming games and learning OpenGL is highliy motivating and a good reason to come together.

About the rewrite: It's ready now and today or tomorrow I'll put it on my website. The beta should be tested for some weeks and then possibly published on SF. Perhaps ETR version 0.5 (release "Bunny Hill")? Probably you will miss 2 things. There are no translations yet because we have to discuss the way of easy and safe implementation. ETR crashes sometimes when switching to another language. Incidently the translations are not urgent, everybody world-wide can handle a program with english texts.

The second are the credits. I think, that should do another person. It's quite easy, you've only to edit a textfile in the data folder. I don't know what to do with the developers of PPRacer (Volker Stroebel and friends), their parts are negligible. Ther are only a few lines (font module) taken from PPRacer or ETRacer. Main developer should be the TEAM of Etr.

Courses: We all know that we need 3D models in a future version. Currently we must use the traditional trees. But there are already some improvements. The trees can be positioned easily on the trees.png. When the bitmap is loaded, the trees are scaled at random, with adjustable ranges. That means that the appearance changes. At the same time the program generates a textlist with items. By editing this list each tree (and each other item) can be adjusted. Next days I'll write a doc to explain this procedure more particularly.
erin10

Postby cpicon92 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:34 pm

Wow. It's great to hear that it's already completed. I look forward to trying it out.

About the translations. I don't think we can call this a beta until translations have been implemented. You say that everybody world wide can read English, but this is really only true in Europe. In fact, I have received numerous emails from Americans in Spanish asking how to switch the game into Spanish (my email address is on the Windows build installer). For that reason, I think it would make sense to call the first release of this 0.5.5 alpha, and implement translations in the beta.

I will type up credits if you don't want to do it. They should be significantly shorter this time around due to the lack of legacy code and translators.
cpicon92
Site Admin

Postby erin10 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:06 am

For that reason, I think it would make sense to call the first release of this 0.5.5 alpha, and implement translations in the beta.

I agree. Indeed, it was a bit surprising to hear that many people attach importance to run a translated game. However, you probably can assess that better than me. Do you know who has implemented the translation code in ETR (or PPRacer)? If not, I'll have to do it whether I like it or not. The other tasks have to wait then.

For the next time every bug, every suggestion should be listed and reported. Alpha time, that's the time for minor improvements and corrections.
erin10

Postby cpicon92 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:18 pm

The people who implemented the Launchpad translation system present in ETR 0.5 are:
Woody
http://extremetuxracer.com/forum/member ... file&u=114
and Jean Vivien Maurice
http://extremetuxracer.com/forum/member ... file&u=165

Hopefully they will be able to do this for the new release as well.
cpicon92
Site Admin

Return to Developer Discussion