The following external tools are needed to build and/or use Maxima:
1) A supported Lisp implementation. See README.lisps.
2) To build Maxima in the standard manner, Bourne shell and make are
required. See INSTALL.
3) Maxima can also be built using nothing except Lisp. See
4) Plotting uses gnuplot, <http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net>, by
default. Plotting can also be done with Maxima's openmath
application. openmath requires Tcl/Tk.
5) The xmaxima front-end requires Tcl/Tk. xmaxima is only one
possible interface to Maxima. It is not required.
6) Building Maxima from CVS additionally requires the GNU autotools.