0 A.D. (pronounced "zero ey-dee") is a cross-platform real-time strategy (RTS) game of ancient warfare. It's a historically-based war/economy game that allows players to relive or rewrite the history of ancient civilizations, each depicted at their peak of economic growth and military prowess.
- Completely Free (to download, play, and modify)
- Open Source (Code under GPL2, Artwork under CC-BY-SA v3)
- Cross Platform (Windows, Linux, OS X, partial Android support)
- An Open Source, custom built 3D Engine called Pyrogenesis
- Historically accurate civilisation buildings, units and names
- Built-in unit and map customisation tool called Atlas
- Finely detailed environments with fauna/flora native to each terrain
- Offline single player mode or LAN/Online multiplayer gaming
- Mods support (drop in replacements to create new UI and game behaviour)
First, I'd like to say that this game could have potential, but in its current state, entirely too complicated. You spend more time on building, troop, and resource management than actually warring. Too many buildings produce units. Too many buildings with unknown purposes. Different units build different things. A few suggestions to make gameplay smoother/easier: 1. Designate one type of unit that can build ALL the things. Not females can build these things and males can build other things. 2. Reduce the number of buildings that produce units. Barracks, cavalry, artillery, and maybe keep the civic center to produce civilian units/builders. 3. Create a single place to research new technologies, rather than every single building needing to be researched individually. These three basic things I believe would improve game play dramatically and reduce complexity. Usability wise, the whole, demo, campaign, skirmish, sandbox selection needs a complete overhaul. I have no idea if what I'm selecting is what I'm actually playing half the time. Set the game mode first, then only show maps for that game mode. Make it simpler/easier. No reason why selecting a map needs to be so complicated.
Good game but we demand a solid update that will fix several issues we want one within a month