XOWA is a desktop application for reading and editing Wikipedia offline
(XOWA has moved to http://gnosygnu.github.io/xowa/download.html)
- Displays all articles from Wikipedia without an internet connection
- Works with any Wikimedia wiki, including Wikipedia, Wiktionary, Wikisource, Wikiquote, Wikivoyage
- Works with any non-English language wiki such as French Wikipedia, German Wikisource, Dutch Wikivoyage, etc.
- Works with other specialized wikis such as Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons, Wikispecies, or any other MediaWiki generated dump
- Renders articles with full HTML formatting
- Downloads images and other files on demand
- Updates your wiki whenever you want, using Wikimedia database backups.
- Sets up Simple Wikipedia in less than 5 minutes
- Navigates between offline wikis (click on "Look up this word in Wiktionary" and it will open your offline version of Wiktionary)
- Edits articles
- Installs to a flash memory card for portability to other machines
- Can be customized at many levels: from keyboard shortcuts to HTML layouts to internal options
- View the HTML for any wiki page
- Search for any page by title using a Wikipedia-like Search box
- Browse pages by alphabetical order using Special:AllPages
- Find a word on a page.
- Access a history of viewed pages
- Bookmark your favorite pages.
Flawless work! Intuitive design and features that require no learning curve to use. While downloading the entirety of wikipedia takes a long time, the program itself is very easy to install. Accessing Wikipedia offline is a worthwhile concept, and Xowa nails it. Great support/documentation for setup and install with continuous updates for improvement and compatibility. Thank you gnosygnu!
With all my heart, thank you for this awesome software Mr.Gnosygnu. In my village don't have high speed internet. But now all school and college students in my village, use this software on thier laptop's. Most of the TPEVR Polytechnic College students use this software on thier laptops. Guess how many laptops:....... 500+ laptop's install XOWA and use Wikipedia Offline. It performing very well... It looks like online Wikipedia...... Once again Thank You sir......
I like this software, it makes having a complete local copy of the entire Wikipedia database super simple. I would like to see the user interface improved some what, so that it matches the host operating system better (Windows 7 in my case). Such as offering transparency for systems capable of doing that. Otherwise I can not find any technical issues with this software. Big thanks to the developer for making such a great software application.
The Best feature full Wikipedia reader ..Thanks Mr gnosygnu For the nice app :)
A fantastic wiki offline reader. Go on, please!