Airfoil optimization using the highly-regarded Xfoil engine for aerodynamic calculations. Starting with a seed airfoil, Xoptfoil uses particle swarm, genetic algorithm and direct search methodologies to perturb the geometry and maximize performance. The user selects a number of operating points over which to optimize, desired constraints, and the optimizer does the rest.
- Supports up to 30 operating points during optimization and multiple user-defined constraints
- Each operating point has a specified lift coefficient or angle of attack, Reynolds number, Mach number, and flap deflection
- Flap angle for each operating point can be used as design variables
- Different optimization objectives (minimize drag, maximize glide slope, minimize sink rate, or maximize lift) can be set at each operating point
- Each operating point is assigned a relative weight (importance) by the user
- Available constraints include thickness, camber, curvature reversals, pitching moment, and trailing edge wedge angle
- Currently included optimization algorithms: particle swarm, genetic algorithm, and Nelder-Mead simplex algorithm
- The optimizer is robust: many checks for reasonable geometry and Xfoil consistency in place
- Parallel version available
- Xfoil engine accurately predicts transition, separation bubbles, and stall at low Reynolds numbers
Be the first to post a review of Xoptfoil!