* Corrected references to 'Xena Lite' to refer to 'Xena' and further improved the error message displayed when the plugins directory is not found (bug-3551095, ticket #372)
* When running under OpenJDK 7 and playing an audio file in the view using the pause or stop button no longer result in Xena hanging. This fix does introduce a very small delay in stopping music after pressing pause or stop or closing the view window under OpenJDK (bug ticket #255)
* Creating your own Custom File Namer is now correctly handled and no longer results in a NullPointerException (bug-3515030, ticket #366)
* Updated Xena for use with Java 7
* Updated Apache POI libraries used in email, office and project plugins to version 3.9 (from 3.2-FINAL)
* Updated Apache Tika libary used to version 1.3 (from 0.9)
* Updated JGoodies Looks library to version 2.3.1 (from 2.2.2)
* Added display of error message in graphical interface for errors when opening a file via a command line argument or when the plastic look and feel is unsupported (rfe-3551878, ticket #328)
* Fixed an error where file descriptors were not closed when an error occurred while processing a Tiff file with a EXIF IFD tag (bug-3435270)
* Updates references to "OpenOffice" to instead be to "LibreOffice" (bug-3527503)
* Corrected an issue where the graphical user interface of LibreOffice would be opened when processing office documents on some machines (bug-3495834)
* Prevented the unnecessary creation of a "dpr" directory when building (source release only) (bug-3520786)
* Minor corrections to object cleanup, comments, spelling and eclipse launch files (source release only)
Feature Enhancements (Major)
* Addition of "Convert" functionality that will just perform conversion of input files (instead of also base64 encoding them and wrapping them in metadata as a xena file). Note that unconverted files are copied to the output directory with a warning. (rfe-3386455)
* Xena now supports warning message output in the Message column (there are currently only warning messages for Convert functionality). The Message column now shows an error (red cross) or warning (orange triangle with !) icon to show the type of message. Other warning messages in Xena now use a corresponding orange triangle with ! icon (rfe-3308200)
* Addition of tika generated metadata to xena output as core functionality (rfe-3386465)
* Addition of Metadata plugin to allow additional metadata output to xena files as generated by exiftool (rfe-3386471)
* Addition of checksums for plugins: Audio, Plain Text, CSV, Image, SVG, Office, PDF, and also for DOM based files (rfe-3404143)
Feature Enhancements (Minor)
* Licensing updated from GPLv2 or higher to GPLv3 or higher
* Removed psd, basic, dataset and postscript plugins (rfe-3384086)
* Updated xom.nu libraries used to version 1.2.6
* Image plugin now adds the use of Image Magick libraries (in particular this has better results for tiff files and animated gif files)
* Updated and moved spreadsheets of external libraries used
* Export functionality now renames files with a number suffix (before the file extension) if a file of the name it would normally export to exists
* Xena Viewer Export functionality now warns when trying to output to a non-existent directory instead of creating that directory (which brings the functionality in line with the Export functionality from the main Xena interface)
* Fixed the default log location in Xena (rfe-3221583)
* Support added for altering level of log output using the loglevel parameter in the preferences file (rfe-3404153)
* Full stack traces are now given on exception (rfe-3396056)
* The "Binary Normalise Failures" button is now only shown when Normalising, not when Binary Normalising (or when Converting) unless Binary Normalising by pressing the button. (rfe-3404148)
* The About Plugins dialog (under help) is now sized more appropriately based on the number of plugins present (rfe-3404146)
* Plugin build numbers are no longer displayed in the about plugins dialog (rfe-3385976)
* Added build instructions to README in base directory of Xena
* Added .txt suffix to many files in tech_docs directories
* Renamed PNGGuesser.java to PngGuesser.java
* Cleanup of source code and source code comments in various areas
* Office file normalisation now puts in correct product name and version used for conversion in the description (bug-3301419)
* Added handling of xbm files to the image plugin (X11 only; not X10) (bug-2904265)
* Fixed an issue where Xena would hang when attempting to normalise certain tiff files under Windows (bug-2910397)
* Output files are now deleted on error (unless there are multiple output files in which case only one is deleted, which is a known bug: bug-3400488) (bug-2910376)
* Updated guessing to check full magic number length rather than only the first 4 bytes (bug-3386534)
* Moved core functionality that was in the NAA plugin to actual core classes (particularly the default wrapper) (bug-3156618)
* Fixed error when no exported digest is produced that resulted in the error "null" (with stack trace) (bug-3155089)
* Fixed error with new lines when normalising tsv or csv files that resulted in export functionality not working correctly (bug-3095399)
* Notice now given to user if file deletion fails when normalisation/migration cancelled (bug-3379425)
Note that bug fixes and additions that relate to a feature listed that was not present in Xena 5.0.0 are not shown in this list (e.g. numerous bug fixes related to the addition of the "Convert" functionality)
* Updated license to GPL version 3 (included in COPYING.txt).
* Ability to create raw text versions of document formats.
* Integration with tesseract OCR.
* Windows version released with automated installer.
* Normaliser for harvested websites.
* Guesser for ODF, already open format so binary normalise only.
* Advanced Magic Guesser.
* Image Magick Guesser using external convert program.
* Support for audio files in OGG container format using Vorbis, FLAC or Speex codecs.
* Improved MP3 guesser.
* Support for more image formats.
* Major internal refactoring of external libraries used.
* Libraries now updated and built from source.
* Using a new charset detection library.
* Ability to preserve directory structures.
* Ability to handle files normalised with previous versions of Xena.
* Automatically configure output and log directories.
* Closing streams properly after normalisation.
* Changed CVS mime type.
* Changed magic number for jar files.
* Fixed instances where Xena is unable to find OpenOffice.org.
* Fixed issues with attachment name case.
* Fixed problem with HTML documents with no HTML or HEAD tags.
* Ensure that HTML exports conform to the XHTML standard.
* Fixed problem with guessing empty files.
* Clear the Xena Base Path from previous runs before starting normalisation.
* Fixed bug in changing chunk pages in Raw XML view.
* XML comments are now being normalised correctly.
Important note for users of Mac OS X
There is currently no Disk Image for Xena 6.1.0. This will be added in the future. Mac OS X users can continue to download Xena 6.0.1 for use with Java 6.