Sun Aug 21 09:25:58 EDT 2016
X Phonebook is not shown by default after an auto-install. See below.
xdm-options.0.2.1.e.dd.sh What is it? See below.
* race condition xdm daemon may quit, add sleep in xdm.sh
* minor mod. for systems with older find(1)
* major improvements for installers using insserv(1)
* minor changes for
starts XLogins despite "boot order racing"
better avoids softlinks
"controlling xterm" flip flops
close pids 2x (for apps that report closing but do not)
* added 'metacity' to window-managers list
* a first potable xdm-options.deb also
xdm-options.0.2.1.c.dd.sh What is it?
Easy Web Installer...
Opens XTerm, unpacks tarball, and waits ready to start install.
(your web browser should know application/sh if not select
so you get "open with: sh" in your browser is all)
Features in 0.2.1.d not in 0.2.1.c
* insserv install works, was not well tested before didn't mean to say it was
Features in 0.2.1.c not in 0.2.1
* auto-install is now in main menu
* new preferred runlevels question
* knows where debian squeeze puts new Xorg
* insserv xdm.sh.insserv installed if insserv present
* minor improvements to start / stop success
X Phonebook most people won't use hardly (see README about xhost) and
just ammount to a login nuisance for them. But maybe some want to try it!
There are many things to try but this one I should mention upfront.
To see X Phonebook by default you want the xarg option changed from 2 to 1:
Login in as usual
on Destktop Chooser Desktop click "System -> Configure XDM"
from Install.sh's "CONFIGURATION PANEL" (main menu)
press 2 and continue (goes to "check menu")
press e, yes, then 7 and continue (goes to ask_xarg function)
press 1 and continue, quit to main menu
use X to restart (may need ot wait a min. for auto reset detect)
Or by hand edit file /etc/X11/xdm-options/xserverrc so it has this one line:
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/X -indirect localhost
Afterward editing file reset easily by invoking '/bin/xdm clean'.
older changes log
A few small but important corrections to 2011-06-13 (0.2.1.b),
effecting: installation, xdm startup.
fixed in Install.sh:
* auto-install choice from menu (y/n were reversed)
* inittab question (y/n were reversed in new question)
fixed in /bin/xdm: (same as xdm.sh for non-innserv)
* script error, found "esac ; fi" on wrong line, vi(1) slip-up
0.2.1 did not have the above problems.
0.2.1.c should be the more stable of the two now.
0.2.1.b had additions not "round trip" tested (un-synced upload again)
Please use sf forums if you see anything. it's hard to get feedback.
corrected 2011-06-06 upload mistake (un-synced, had a few 0.2.1 files)
minor install improvements
do not bother if your already installed