VWPreview v1.6 - Steven Phillips
This VirtuaWin module creates a preview of all desktops in either a window or
full screen mode allowing the user to see all their desktops. Left clicking on
a desktop will change to that desktop, right clicking anywhere will open the
module's setup dialog. The Tab, Shift+Tab and Enter keys can also be used to
change desktops, Esc closes the preview. The module requires VirtuaWin version
4.2 or above.
The module can also provide basic desktop change transition effects, for these
version 4.3 of VirtuaWin or above is required.
Copy VWPreview.exe into the VirtuaWin modules directory.
* The module supports 2 modes, Desktop Preview which uses the whole screen and
Desktop Select which uses a standard window (size is configurable).
* The module can also provide desktop change transition effect if using
VirtuaWin v4.3 or later.
* The module has not been tested on multiple monitor systems and while the
author does not envisage any particularly nasty problems the full screen
preview or transition effects are unlikely to work well.
* Desktops which have not yet been visited will be rendered largely blank
using the background colour, if a background image is being used the
background colour is typically black which can make the preview display
rather unhelpful. A future enhancement would be to initialise these desktops
to the background image instead.
* There are now two time values in the vwpreview.cfg file:
fulUdTm1# - Initial update time (in ms) used to update all previews,
default is 2sec (i.e. 2000)
fulUdTm2# - Continued update time (in ms), default is 10sec.
* Found that update does not work well when Windows Themes are used because
the screen has not been properly updated. To avoid the problem a pause is
needed to allow the screen to be redrawn, set option 'fulUdPas#' in the
vwpreview.cfg file to say 500 for a half second pause.
VWPreview is a freely distributed program and is licensed under the GNU
General Public License.
Copyright (c) 2010-2011 VirtuaWin (email@example.com)
Ver 1.6 - 2011/03/23
* 3213143 Fixed slide-on from left or top when not using full sized images.
Ver 1.5 - 2011/02/20
* 3152494 Merged in patch submitted by rolfbrocke adding slide-on and center
zoom transition effects.
* Added new Effect duration setting.
Ver 1.4 - 2010/09/12
* 3064557 Implemented a new Continuous update option which, when disabled,
stops the update once all desktops have been updated. Also changed to using
two update times, an initial time for a quick update and a second timer for
slower continued update.
* 3064553 Implemented some basic desktop change transition effects, bit slow
as it doesn't use DirectX
* 3025866 Fixed VirtuaWin window focus problem.
* 3025763 Fixed key input issue.
Ver 1.3 - 2010/07/10
* 3025853 Stopped preview window appearing in the desktop previews.
* 3025723 Fixed further preview dialog window issues on Windows XP.
* 3025759 Improved the quality of the desktop images by using HALFTONE on the
platforms which support it.
* 3025763 Fixed keyboard control when preview is opened via the VirtuaWin
Ver 1.2 - 2010/06/21
* Fixed preview dialog window issues on Windows XP.
Ver 1.1 - 2010/06/15
* Added Full Screen 'Update desktop previews' option - this option should be
used with care as it must continually cycle through all desktops so the
computer will be constantly working; the screen will also flash as it
updates the preview image for a desktop. Other side effects include changing
desktop even when Escape is pressed because this simply closes the preview
window and therefore will leave you on a random desktop. If the update speed
is not right for you then edit the "fulUdtim# 1000" line in vwpreview.cfg
file located in the VirtuaWin Config directory (VirtuaWin -> Setup -> Expert
-> Explore Config), 1000 = 1sec, save changes then Reload modules (VirtuaWin
-> Setup -> Modules -> Reload); if you make this number too small the
desktop previews will be wrong (missing windows or windows from other
desktops etc), making this number large will reduce the load on your
* Added Window 'Close after desktop change', if disabled VWPreivew will
automatically update the preview (update rate can be changed by editing
"winUdtim# 1000" line - see option above). This make VWPreview act more like
a very basic desktop pager.
Ver 1.0 - 2010/06/10
* Initial release