Menu

OpenGL performance

piriu
2011-01-08
2013-04-13
  • piriu

piriu - 2011-01-08

Hello all, are there any plans to improve performance in version 2.0? Acording to this topic: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27934 , this game might be also very CPU limited. I've seen some discussion about TORCS not using VBO's cu improve performance, are planning to change that?

• Jean-Philippe Meuret

Yes and no.

Yes, because 2.0 will support (and use) 2 CPUs if present, one running the graphics engine, and the other one the physics engine an AI drivers. This gives up to a 2x FPS boost, but only in the cases where the frame rate experienced with only one CPU is low (say under 25-20 FPS).

No, because we won't rewrite this time our graphics engine, which is a bit obsolete now, is a heavy CPU consumer while also a bad GPU feeder (not as bad, though, as calling glDrawElements for each triangle ;-)

Brian already started this rewrite work (based on Open Scene Graph), and got promising performance, but is quite stuck about it right now.

BTW, with a decent 2.0 GHz CPU and a medium range graphic card, you easily get 40 or more FPS when racing against l10 AI opponents … so, unless you enjoy a brand new bionic eye-set, things are not that bad, aren't they ?

• piriu

piriu - 2011-01-08

Thank you, I have some obsolete computer  Sempron 2800+ (Socket A, 2 GHz, 1 core) CPU and  Radeon X850 XT video card, Linux OS and while it can play quite right Nexuiz, Sauerbraten, UT2004, VDrift games, is struggling with Speed-dreams, especially on tracks with plenty of objects. I admit Marek's post is a bit exaggerated :-) , but this game is far too heavy on the CPU side. On the bright side development speed and quality (art part) is far better than TORCS.

• Jean-Philippe Meuret

OK, understand (I'm often optimistic about the "decent" word, sorry).

Did you try the hints listed here ?
      http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/speed-dreams/wiki/GraphicCardSettings

Some others :
    - avoid using Simu V3, you'll save up to 30 % f/s,
    - limit the number of AI opponents.

Thanks a lot for the "bright side" … nice to hear it :-)