SparkyLinux is a GNU/Linux distribution created on the "testing" branch of Debian. It features customized lightweight desktops (like E19, LXDE and Openbox), multimedia plugins, selected sets of apps and own custom tools to ease different tasks.
Sparky is in-between the distros that are beginner-friendly and those, that require some amount of Linux knowledge. Beginning Linux users are advised to consult the project forums regarding any issues or doubts.
- Debian testing based
- Rolling release
- Fast, light & simple
- Most wireless and mobile network cards supported
- Set of desktops to choose: LXDE, Enlightenment, JWM, KDE, LXQt, Openbox, MATE, Xfce
- Special gaming edition: Sparky GameOver
- Special rescue edition: Sparky Rescue
- Base Edition to customize the desktop
- CLI Edition features core system and a few tools
- DVD media with selected set of apps, multimedia codecs and plugins
- For 32 and 64 bit machines with BIOS or UEFI motherboard
- Easy hard drive / USB installation
- Own repository with a large set of additional applications
Sorry but SL could be way better than Mint. great packages but still has a buggy installer. 2.2 had good nvidia support. 3.3 stuck on nouveau (horrible with nv34 cards). Turns off sound chip when idle, a bad feature. I used many linuxes since 1998. Very promising but needs better quality control more testers. I've tested 2.1, 2.2, 3.3 Very smart setup and collection of apps. I voted 3 stars to counter the 5 stars.